Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wainwrights attempt 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    No idea what his schedule is, but looks like he was just under an hour ahead of Steve at Yoke. Last few summit splits are all a wee bit slower than Steve's though. Compelling stuff! The pace this deep in to the round is incredible.
    Is his planned route the same as Steve's?

yes, though he has a few different lines up his sleeve (see route up to Dow Crag as an example)

The schedule isn't public, though as I was meant to be helping I have a copy.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Heading east out of Kentmere now. He appears to be more like 1.5h up on Steve now (I recall Steve took a long break at Kentmere). This long leg to Howton was at the end of the aforementioned long day for Steve - whereas Paul has slept more recently. Steve also had real foot issues on this leg and a blister had to be attended to which took up some time.
    Last edited by ba-ba; 17-06-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Heading east out of Kentmere now. He appears to be more like 1.5h up on Steve now (I recall Steve took a long break at Kentmere). This long leg to Howton was at the end of the aforementioned long day for Steve - whereas Paul has slept more recently. Steve also had real foot issues on this leg and a blister had to be attended to which took up some time.
    Yeah, looks like Steve had 45 mins in Kentmere, but Paul's gone straight through so made up that time. There's quite a bit on Twitter including footage of him trotting out of Troutbeck looking fresh and in good spirits.

Steve's splits/times: https://www.dropbox.com/s/724yqtx97e...realtimes.xlsx
    Last edited by Hank; 17-06-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    Geoff Clarke

about 4h kip (well stationary time) at Side farm, and now appears to be 2h15 up at Arnison crag.

He was on BBC North West last night. Still running(ish) Loved the Irish accent talking about such a British Institution "Alfred Wainwright"

A lot of the splits today seem fairly similar to Steve's, but then there'll be one that take ~5 mins off - e.g. Raise (35 vs 41);Sheffield Pike (28 vs. 34); Helvellyn (11 vs. 15); Dollywaggon (54 vs. 59).

Still looks like 2.5h up after a decent rest tonight and a long stop at Glenridding (similar duration to Steve's, when his feet were given a lot of attention)

Any news on how PFT's feet are?

I wonder if the cooler weather earlier in the week (compared to Steve's warm weather throughout) may pay dividends over the last couple of days?

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    I wonder if the cooler weather earlier in the week (compared to Steve's warm weather throughout) may pay dividends over the last couple of days?
    Can't hurt. I remember on Steve's round when he'd set off for Glenridding Dodd being sat in the office and thinking how hot it was... didn't envy him toiling up through the bracken!

Fascinating to watch this unfold. He's looking good on times at the moment and appears to be moving really well, but still 48hrs or more to go...
    Last edited by Hank; 18-06-2019 at 03:57 PM.
    Geoff Clarke

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I'm just wondering where he is going to get some sleep tonight. He will get to the road crossing south of Mungrisdale early evening, and then he's got the huge leg over the Northern Fells with no road crossings. It looks like a choice between keep going all night, or stop for a snooze in the heather somewhere around Great Calva.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I'm just wondering where he is going to get some sleep tonight. He will get to the road crossing south of Mungrisdale early evening, and then he's got the huge leg over the Northern Fells with no road crossings. It looks like a choice between keep going all night, or stop for a snooze in the heather somewhere around Great Calva.
    He's around 2hrs ahead of Steve at this point, so will likely get to the Troutbeck stop about 2100. He could take 5hrs or so there (same as Steve) and be off again 0200-0300 for first light as he gets up Souther Fell.
    Geoff Clarke