Page 83 of 553 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Re: Tonight's football thread

it has just been announced that serious design flaw has been discovered at Old Trafford

the seats are all facing the wrong way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    EH? How many teams have suddenly had hundreds of millions pumped into them and gone out and bought many players with CL and even winning the CL experience... City are almost unique in world football with the millions suddenly pumped in.. even chelsea already had a solid footing, decent team when Roman pumped his millions in... city were a backwater team... then spent hundreds of millions on top class players so you'd expect qualification...

Not qualifying was an embarrassment for both clubs.

In my honest opinion the Champions League can become an unhealthy obsession. Just look at Chelsea jumping from one manager to the next, none of them able to think about the long term and sticking with the old guard and not investing in the future.

Mancini's put together a squad capable of winning the Premier League and domestic cups, he's also got a talented bunch of young players to come through into the team and with the occasional acquisition and moving players on we'll grow stronger.

So no, i'm not to obsessed by the Champions League it'll come to us in time.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Super Moderator

Danbert, it's all about the Champion's League nowadays. Fourth in the Premier League is more important than winning the FA Cup :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post
    In my honest opinion the Champions League can become an unhealthy obsession. Just look at Chelsea jumping from one manager to the next, none of them able to think about the long term and sticking with the old guard and not investing in the future.

Mancini's put together a squad capable of winning the Premier League and domestic cups, he's also got a talented bunch of young players to come through into the team and with the occasional acquisition and moving players on we'll grow stronger.

So no, i'm not to obsessed by the Champions League it'll come to us in time.
    I didn't realise you'd got knocked out of the Champions League on purpose!

I've been watching City for 14 years now and if you'd have said to me back then that they would be playing in the champions league and winning cups i'd have pissed my sides,i dont care that they got knocked out,fourteen years ago i went to my first ever game,we beat bournemouth 2 - 1,on wednesday i saw them beat Bayern Munich,i'm buzzing :w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    I've been watching City for 14 years now and if you'd have said to me back then that they would be playing in the champions league and winning cups i'd have pissed my sides,i dont care that they got knocked out,fourteen years ago i went to my first ever game,we beat bournemouth 2 - 1,on wednesday i saw them beat Bayern Munich,i'm buzzing :w00t:
    You're living the dream! I've heard that before somewhere.

Actually though I am looking forward to tomorrow night and I do hope you beat Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Danbert, it's all about the Champion's League nowadays. Fourth in the Premier League is more important than winning the FA Cup :closed:
    I hear what you are saying Tup yet I still reckon City took an enormous step forward in the Champions League this year. Ultimately the only difference between City going through as champions of the group and finishing 3rd was that bloody 1-1 draw with Napoli in our very first Champions League game.

People on here have said 'City have very experienced players in major competition' and so on, but the fact is that the first Champions League game was a real learning experience for City - as a club and that does weave its way through all areas.

Playing at home the Club had more pressure on them than Napoli. It's not an excuse (we don't need excuses because we're progressing not failing), it's a fact. And like the Community Shield game when we ultimately came unstuck, the Club learned from the experience.

This club, under Mancini, is learning all the time and to have reached the Champions League and to face 3 significant sides (no one should underestimate Villareal's European pedigree in recent years) is achievement.

Of course, as fans, we all wanted to progress, but we are not as upset as some forumites (rags) on here think we should be. That's because we recognise that City are still learning, still developing. Ultimately 1 goal conceded at home to Napoli in our very first Champions League game was the only issue. People can talk about style of play, approach to games, players refusing to get off the bench or whatever, but ultimately it was one goal in our first game. That's all.

I'm with young Fleeter - It's definitely worth pausing for a moment to remember that not to long ago we were in the third tier of English football, yet here we are this year having headed the League table for possibly our longest spell ever (I need to just check the 1967-68 but i'm sure it was a late surge.) We're also through to a major semi-final and we're in the Europa League - the second most significant trophy in Europe. City are making significant progress in all areas and, as fans, i think most of us recognise that.

For me it was interesting to observe how the 2 sets of Manchester fans greeted their champons League exits. As I drove home from the match Radio 5 had predominantly Utd fans calling. 2 asked for Fergie to resign (plus criticised Rooney etc.) and were very downbeat. They had 1 City fan on (as I listened), they tried to get her to say she was disappointed/frustrated at City's defeat and she did the exact opposite. She talked of this being part of our progression and that City are still at the beginning.

She was spot on, but it still surprised Radio 5. They tried to suggest we would see it as a real failure, yet the 2 defeats were different. City were looking for an impossible scenario where-as United were going for what should have been a bread and butter result for a team that had their level of investment, support and so on over the last 30 years.

Worth remembering as a final point - it took Ferguson almost 4 years (with the highest level of investment in a squad that any manager had ever been given) to win a major trophy at Utd and 13 years to win the Champions League. Arsenal & Chelsea despite their investment and domestic record have yet to win the trophy.

Mancini won a major trophy in his first full season at City; took the Blues to 3rd place (equal 2nd on points!) and now has taken us through our first CL campaign with honour and into the latter stages of the Europa League, plus of course the League Cup semi and much to play for.

This is a very positive time for City, we are living the dream and I can't wait for 2012. :wink:
    Last edited by Danbert Nocurry; 11-12-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post
    Arsenal & Chelsea despite their investment and domestic record have yet to win the trophy.
    As a Gooner I can assure you we've invested f*ck all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    As a Gooner I can assure you we've invested f*ck all.

You've had a superb domestic record though and Chelsea have had loads of investment yet neither of you have managed to win the CL trophy yet. Similarly it took Baconface almost 4 years (with the highest level of investment in a squad that any manager had ever been given) to win a major trophy at the rags and 13 years to win the Champions League.

Super Moderator

Danbert, I liked your reply, but there is only one 'major trophy' at the level to which aspire and that's the Champions League. The Premiership is a passport to the big time, and little more than that (sadly)
    Poacher turned game-keeper