Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English Championships

English Championships

Updated here

Could anyone explain to me how this transfers into real time? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense but I've been asked to bring it up at our Club Committee Meeting this evening.
    For clarification we have several members that run 1st claim for their Fell Club but they are 1st Claim with us as they compete for us in the XC.
    Statement copied from the this website homepage. Thanks all.

Championship eligibility clarification.

Sat 20th Jan, 2018

In response to a question raised by one club other clubs may want to note the following statement.
    - Eligibility for English Juniors over U13 is the same as for English Senior Champs. Younger age groups in the Challenge only have to be members of the club they run for.
    - Individuals must be registered with EA or members of the FRA. Some clubs only register (i.e. pay for) members who request it – it is not necessary for a club to pay EA for a member who is has already joined the FRA. If a runner is registered with EA eligibility is the same no matter which club paid the registration fee.
    - Runners can only count for their first claim fell club, but the inflexibility in the EA/UKA system of administering first/first claim other can cause problems. The FRA Rules (Handbook page 14) has been amended for 2018 to read
    “d. Team eligibility. Runners may count for a team for their first claim fell running Club only. This Club must be affiliated to England Athletics or other National Association. For runners who are simultaneously members of two clubs, in the event of ambiguity over which club has ‘first claim’ status an appeal should be made to the Membership Secretary at the start of the season”
    The FRA has made a request for a rule change on this issue which is going through the EA/UKA process at the moment, but with no certainty that our proposals will be accepted.

Who's "us"? And are y'all a club registered on the fells? And did your several members join you after they were already registered with the other club(s)?

I don't claim to know the answers, but maybe the answers to these questions will help those in the know.

I know there are few Pennine members who run XC for Buxton. I thought the situation was something like:
    Because Pennine are a fell club (and aren't registered as a XC club), these people are fine to do XC for Buxton. And these people are OK to compete for Pennine in the fell champs because they're registered with Pennine as their 1st claim fell club.

The text from the website makes it sound a lot more complicated than my simplistic understanding, so perhaps it is.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Who's "us"? And are y'all a club registered on the fells? And did your several members join you after they were already registered with the other club(s)?

I don't claim to know the answers, but maybe the answers to these questions will help those in the know.

I know there are few Pennine members who run XC for Buxton. I thought the situation was something like:
    Because Pennine are a fell club (and aren't registered as a XC club), these people are fine to do XC for Buxton. And these people are OK to compete for Pennine in the fell champs because they're registered with Pennine as their 1st claim fell club.

The text from the website makes it sound a lot more complicated than my simplistic understanding, so perhaps it is.

I had similar questions when I was changing clubs approx. a year ago, and your 'simplistic' explanation sounds about correct to me. Wouldn't like to put my mortgage on it though...!

Noel - 'they' are indeed Buxton.

It makes sense to have rules meaning you can only represent one club at one thing at once, and to prevent people changing club willy-nilly, but the UKA rules seem to not fit with Fell Running. This is magnified by a lot of clubs registering as 'fell' when they don't really do 'fell'.

Sue - contact Charmian at FRA membership, she should be able to sort you out/give some pointers.

Hopefully they will look at representation for the last few years into account, and people won't have to resign from a club, join another first claim, then re-join a club(...)

(quite lucky that of my 2 clubs, one is registered for XC, Road and track, the other Fell only)
    Last edited by ba-ba; 25-01-2018 at 04:30 PM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Noel - 'they' are indeed Buxton.

It makes sense to have rules meaning you can only represent one club at one thing at once, and to prevent people changing club willy-nilly, but the UKA rules seem to not fit with Fell Running. This is magnified by a lot of clubs registering as 'fell' when they don't really do 'fell'.

Sue - contact Charmian at FRA membership, she should be able to sort you out/give some pointers.

Hopefully they will look at representation for the last few years into account, and people won't have to resign from a club, join another first claim, then re-join a club(...)

(quite lucky that of my 2 clubs, one is registered for XC, Road and track, the other Fell only)
    Thank you I'll do that. Lots of our members (yes Buxton) are really going for the fells now and our participation of all levels are increasing. Nigel and Rachel are actually pushing members to participate in the English Champs this year. I'm not sure if we will get a Team out of Women this year in all distances but we do have several really interested in our Seniors Men. We hope to be putting a full Team out of Women in 2018 too.
    We do have several Pennine chaps run for us in XC so not sure how it affects them. Our Junior squad is progressing brilliantly and run for us in Fell and XC from other Clubs. I think though that Rachel has got a handle on that.
    Thank you for the answers guys :-)

When I joined DPFR 3 years ago, as I understood it, I couldn't also remain a member of Staffs Moorlands (fell-registered like Buxton). Not that I wanted to. I joined a non-fell club, Wolves, at the same time as joining DPFR and leaving Staffs M. So, unless something has changed, I think that Pennine members can run, at best, open races only for Buxton.

Quote Originally Posted by gazb View Post
    When I joined DPFR 3 years ago, as I understood it, I couldn't also remain a member of Staffs Moorlands (fell-registered like Buxton). Not that I wanted to. I joined a non-fell club, Wolves, at the same time as joining DPFR and leaving Staffs M. So, unless something has changed, I think that Pennine members can run, at best, open races only for Buxton.
    I think in your case you were already a member of Staffs, and were joining Dark Peak to compete on the fells, so it made sense you'd need to leave Staffs. In this instance, Pennine members have joined Buxton to run XC, but have not left Pennine.

I would say that it shouldn't be an issue anyway, since none of the runners in question are likely to finish in the top 3 in their categories. However, I guess it gets trickier with relays and team champs, when the influence of non-top-3 runners often has a bearing on the medals.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I think in your case you were already a member of Staffs, and were joining Dark Peak to compete on the fells, so it made sense you'd need to leave Staffs. In this instance, Pennine members have joined Buxton to run XC, but have not left Pennine.

I would say that it shouldn't be an issue anyway, since none of the runners in question are likely to finish in the top 3 in their categories. However, I guess it gets trickier with relays and team champs, when the influence of non-top-3 runners often has a bearing on the medals.
    I think the underlying problem is that most of our (Pennine) members don't register with EA because they don't need to so when they join, say Buxton, to run XC they then are registered with EA and end up as first claim for Buxton for all disciplines. The workaround is to register with EA for Pennine first then the other club second, effectively first claim for all but fell
    Dave Bowen, secretary Pennine.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I think the underlying problem is that most of our (Pennine) members don't register with EA because they don't need to so when they join, say Buxton, to run XC they then are registered with EA and end up as first claim for Buxton for all disciplines. The workaround is to register with EA for Pennine first then the other club second, effectively first claim for all but fell
    Dave Bowen, secretary Pennine.
    Thank Dave. I was hoping someone would add to this who knows what they're talking about.