Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I've raced my last race.

I was stunned when I first saw the Glen Rosa horseshoe from the top of Goatfell. Totally unprepared for the wildness of it!
    I know that hill above Lamlash. We have to go over it on the Scottish islands peaks race since the yachts put in at Lamlash. But you're right, Arran is well worth a visit for all sorts of reasons.

How goes it Jez? Us cardiac boys have to stick together!

When I was in serious training....up to last year!....I used to a weekly spin class and really pump it hard. So hard I often felt faint getting off the bike. I would get stats emailed to me and the most important was a number called FTP...functional Threshold performance I think. The best number I ever posted was 267 or 3.56 watts/kg. Now, I wear my pulse monitor and keep the pulse below 140. FTP's fell to about 210 but have slowly improved and today I did 255 or 3.4 w/kg. And I felt just fine! Learning something all the time.
    I'm very tempted to try a medium race now where outright speed and effort is not so crucial.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    How goes it Jez? Us cardiac boys have to stick together!

When I was in serious training....up to last year!....I used to a weekly spin class and really pump it hard. So hard I often felt faint getting off the bike. I would get stats emailed to me and the most important was a number called FTP...functional Threshold performance I think. The best number I ever posted was 267 or 3.56 watts/kg. Now, I wear my pulse monitor and keep the pulse below 140. FTP's fell to about 210 but have slowly improved and today I did 255 or 3.4 w/kg. And I felt just fine! Learning something all the time.
    I'm very tempted to try a medium race now where outright speed and effort is not so crucial.
    Have you considered orienteering, Wheeze? Or have I mentioned this before on this thread? I regularly get beaten by ageing types who jog efficiently directly to the checkpoints while I'm dashing around in misguided circles. Round my way there are lots of taster days - or perhaps this is something you've already done some of?

Its a good shout Noel. Hadn't really considered it. Having said that my favoured running is in wide open spaces, not trashing around in nut-high brambles which seems to be the lot of many orienteering events!
    There is a race near me called 4 Fans which I last did in 2017 and made a bit a hash of the nav. Its 12 miles of fairly steady climbing and bog trotting so nothing too arduous but it probably rewards good nav and steady raher than frantic work. I plan to give it a go and get a comparator with my 2017 time.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Have you considered orienteering, Wheeze? Or have I mentioned this before on this thread? I regularly get beaten by ageing types who jog efficiently directly to the checkpoints while I'm dashing around in misguided circles. Round my way there are lots of taster days - or perhaps this is something you've already done some of?
    I'll second that. I walk around the odd orienteering event and several Mountain Marathons each year and am able to be surprisingly competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Thanks for mentioning this Noel; a serious bio-mechanical issue means I might not be able to run again, and this has given me a lot to think about
    Hi Marco. I'd really recommend it. There's a potteries orienteering club, which might work for your location - I have their details after one of their events:

w: www.potoc.co.uk
    f: www.facebook.com/potoc.orienteering
    t: @potteriesoclub
    i: https://www.instagram.com/potteriesorienteeringclub

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    So there it is. Just got back from the cardiologist who has warned me that I should not do competitive running any more due to the risk of a 'sudden cardiac event'.
    I've discovered what a "sudden cardiac event" is.

I was sitting in the front room, my wife had finished some vacuum-cleaning a few minutes earlier, when I heard a few deep breaths that didn't sound right, followed by a pause of a few seconds, then a crash. I rushed out and found my wife unconscious on the bathroom floor. The ambulance was called and, to cut a long story short, she has been fitted with a pacemaker only 24 hours after the original incident. The only previous symptoms were occasional breathlessness while playing tennis, and some general tiredness.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Super Moderator
    Sounds like things could have been much worse. Best wishes to you both Anthony

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Thank you, DT. I don't want to think about what might have happened if she had been alone at home, or maybe driving.

I hope your own medical recovery is going well, DT.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Best wishes and hope Mrs Kay has a speedy recovery