Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Round Rotherham 50

Re: Round Rotherham 50

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    These are two very different races over very different terrain and it is hard to compare them, but given the extra ten miles of distance and the chance of some good heavy cloying mud then they may be comparable for effort required.

Take away mud wind and rain, then RR would be easier IMO for what that may be worth
    Weather's looking good for Sat so far, dry, sun shine and light winds from the north bit chilly though. Should be light on mud as well - hope to finish this year

You'll do it Chris - easy, easy! You'll be back to beating me again. I'll see you there (at the start at least).

I think your weather forecast might be a bit optimistic on the sunshine. The forecast I saw showed a blanket of cloud trapped under the high pressure that will already have moved across from the east overnight. Friday will be sunny.

I'm quite looking forward to running the last section in daylight for the first time. I usually have to put my head torch on at the last checkpoint. I'm also looking forward to drier than usual conditions

Master

Have a goodun folks.

I have decided that given the good forecast and the probable absence of mud, frost and horizontal sleet and rain, the lack of darkness.

Then a couple of long hard days on the fells will be more appealing.

I will miss my trip RR though.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Hi ALL

Forgive the lazy bones approach but I'm just back from a weeks hols & it's the usual rush rush catchup sketch (with everyday life + plus this run....)

I've printed off a wealth of maps/route from the website just now - inc the o/s map a3 sheets & the a4 sheets as well + the full strip maps etc. (one can never have enuff being my thinking here....)

I'm a RRR50 virgin (I'm planning to run it) and just taking a peek at the o/s map a3/a4 sheets it makes mention of O/S landranger map 111 / explorers 278 and 279

now for the (perhaps) silly Q

Landranger map 111 AND explorer maps 278/278 or just take your pick from the one you fancy....I have neither & i guess i'm wondering if i even need the maps? Prev exp tells me - yes - carry the full map - can't harm can it? Just after a bit of guidance really.

apols if the answer(s) to the above lie elsewhere but as i've said at the mo it's just been a frantic 1/2hour at work making use of the colour printer over lunch....

Here's looking forward to it!!!

Cheers

Mark...

I found using an OS map in a built up area too confusing, started using the strip map and was fine. Stick with the strip map.

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar

I marked out all the route (at least, the 2006 route!) on Explorers 278 & 279. You won't need the Landranger as well.

Having said that, I've mostly used the strip maps. And my bete noir - the zigzagzigzagzig through fields after the firbeck checkpoint - will be in daylight this time!

Good luck to all RR'ers. especially Headless, who has to do the nav leg at the FRAs on Sunday with me.

Fortunately, I'm slow enough to mean he'll cope easily.

Have to double-check his nav tho'.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

The strip maps should see you right, they are very good and it’s not a difficult route to navigate – especially if you don’t need to worry about the dark. First time I took them and the printout of the OS map from the website, but I wouldn’t have needed that at all if my strip maps had disintegrated too much by 70k after getting wet from the persistent rain. I hadn’t reccied the route and had no one to follow, I made a couple of mistakes but nothing major.

I’d take the A3 OS as a backup; I wouldn’t bother with the full maps.

Conditions should be good in comparison with the last couple of years, wish I was able to do it

I agree, strip map is very good as long as you keep your attention on it and don't lose your place.
    The forecast is looking more sunny. Chris was right after all.
    I'll be travelling across this evening in view of the early start.

Weather does look good. Don't forget - you can send a bag to the half way checkpoint. Think I'm going to put some chocolate spread & banana butties in mine this year. Plus the usual change of socks etc.