Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakes 42 place going

Lakes 42 place going

I entered this, and now I am injured and don't think recovery will be in time (30 March). The entry list is full but substitutions are allowed. Please post here if you'd like my place, substitution is through SI entries.
    Details at https://www.nav4.co.uk/lakes-mountain-42
    Gill

Yes please! But SI says there's a waiting list, which suggests first come first served, doesn't it? I went on that but I have no idea how close I am to the top because we can't see it.

I asked Joe (organiser) for the waiting list so I could contact people on the list, but he is happy for me to make direct approaches. If you say you're on the waiting list, that's good enough for me. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks bollygill.

I think I'm cursed for all Nav4 events, had to give TdH place away last year due to inury and I've been nursing an ankle thing for the last week.

Going to just plod round LM42, hopefully make it back in time for last orders!

Quote Originally Posted by dazthemook View Post
    I think I'm cursed for all Nav4 events, had to give TdH place away last year due to inury and I've been nursing an ankle thing for the last week.

Going to just plod round LM42, hopefully make it back in time for last orders!
    It's a long way to plod...! I had to limp back the shortened race last year, from Side Farm back to the finish... never-ending!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    It's a long way to plod...! I had to limp back the shortened race last year, from Side Farm back to the finish... never-ending!
    Never ending? Can't have been that bad; you still beat me by an hour and I wasn't injured!

dazthemook, I hope you mend by LM42. There's still time. I can sympathise; I was forced to miss TdH as well.

i guess the fact that i was injured was negated by the truly awful weather conditions, which caused everyone to slow down!

Can't rate this race highly enough... although it's all on paths of some sort, it really is a 'fellrunners ultra'. I've heard (and indeed experienced myself) more than one navigational or route-choice mishap.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    i guess the fact that i was injured was negated by the truly awful weather conditions, which caused everyone to slow down!

Can't rate this race highly enough... although it's all on paths of some sort, it really is a 'fellrunners ultra'. I've heard (and indeed experienced myself) more than one navigational or route-choice mishap.
    Yes it can be challenging, especially in the clag. I have an inbuilt picture of the terrain from plotting the route on Tracklogs then use 1:25,000 print-outs to refresh the memory as I go, so no notable mishaps so far. Last year before High Street at High Raise it was easy to lose the path and drop too far to the left, but that was easily corrected because we know we shouldn't be doing that. I heard stories of some ending up near Haweswater, probably hankering after a bit of Lakeland 100.
    The other error I heard about was missing the little right turn-off on the way to Angle Tarn and ending up down at Hayeswater. Oops.

Haweswater is an interesting one... i'm not even sure how that could be managed without realising something was untoward!

I began on the way down to Hayeswater last year but corrected it quite early and only lost about 5 mins.

One place I've seen/heard people go astray is missing the turn in the Hellvellyn Ridge at Lower Man... people unwittingly heading on down Browncove Crags towards Thirlmere.

Also on Helvellyn, people taking the OCT route in ascent aiming way off to the right, and effectively doing a direct climb of Nethermost Pike. After taking the OCT route in ascent a couple of years ago, it nearly finished me off even though i nailed it spot on, i'll be sticking to the longer path this year!

I've had an issue or two in the past getting down into the valley after Place Fell, mainly due to fatigue and loss of concentration... think I've got it cracked now. And of course, the final bit across Moor Divock on the way back is easily cocked-up if not concentrating!
    Last edited by Travs; 05-03-2019 at 03:05 PM.