Page 108 of 109 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1081

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Quote Originally Posted by Notters View Post
    So it's looking set to be pretty mild (and therefore boggy)and windy.
    Very excited mind!

Any other first timers?

@Martyn just spotted you're from North Leeds Fellrunners - have been wanting to come to one of your training runs for some time - is it ok to just rock up?
    Yes, that would be fine. Just look at the website/public facebook page and find out where training is on a particular night and just bump up, one of the reasons I joined them is a) they're extremely friendly and b) don't have any agendas or political infighting. I'm proud to be a member, albeit one of the old guard :-)
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Funny how this discussion crops up every few years :-) Yes, the land to the left of the wall is access land but the landowner has complained on more than one occasion and the race organisers are quite explicit that you must stay to the right. It's as boggy as hell though, I was up there the other day in the ice and that was OK, but as soon as that melts it will be desperate. The Cowper's Cross route is quite a bit longer, I did some comparisons a few years back and recall there was no advantage in doing it and a bit more height gain. You might have marginally drier/less muddy feet, but that's about the only positive.
    Agree completely with your analysis, Martyn! I wonder, though, whether the official route has changed. I’m sure it always used to be to follow the wall - I think, going to the right- whereas the route description and event gpx now seem to indicate the Cowpers’s Cross way. If it has changed, I doubt anybody will pay any attention unless they station a marshal to police it. Most of us who’ve been Striding for years will otherwise follow the wall on autopilot.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Morning All,

I'm new here... Only started running in 2019, having moved to Yorkshire from Sussex, and soon realised fells are the way to go.

Did a couple of shorter fell races e.g. Eldwick Gala last year and absolutely loved it.

Rombalds will be the biggest, longest one so far (appreciate it's not a fell race per se) and really looking forward to it. I live 200m from the starting line! My only concern is catching another lurgy from my two daughters.

Taking the afternoon of work today for a final long training run. Beautiful day for it, though might be a bit icy.

I'm fairly confident on the route now, it's just the distance I need to hack.
    Who is on board this year?

I've enjoyed reading through this thread for all the hints and tips. Haven't braved jumping the culvert yet!
    So How did it go Notters?
    Good to see BritNick - the Bast@@d beat me! But I was faster than last year so happy. Good conditions today - for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    So How did it go Notters?
    Good to see BritNick - the Bast@@d beat me! But I was faster than last year so happy. Good conditions today - for a change.
    It was bloody brilliant! Absolutely loved it, what a fantastic event. Great weather too (too warm if anything).
    I completely bonked when I got to Menston but the jelly babies got me through.
    4:40, which, considering I have a cold and it's the longest run I've done, I'm absolutely chuffed with.

There was someone in an Otley top by the door to the school when I finished - not sure if you - but I sat down with my head in my hands, couldn't speak to anyone!

Many more to come I hope.
    Last edited by Notters; 06-02-2023 at 11:49 AM.

It was bloody brilliant! Absolutely loved it, what a fantastic event. Great weather too (too warm if anything).
    I completely bonked when I got to Menston but the jelly babies got me through.
    4:40, which, considering I have a cold and it's the longest run I've done, I'm absolutely chuffed with.

There was someone in an Otley top by the door to the school when I finished - not sure if you - but I sat down with my head in my hands, couldn't speak to anyone!

Many more to come I hope.
    Good effort and glad you enjoyed it. Very benign conditions this year and the climb up the Chevin was not slippery. It's a very friendly affair. That was Steve the photographer and Sharon giving out goodies in Menston. See Yorkshire runner FB for photo's.
    I finished in 4:43 so you must have been just before me. What's your name? This was my 10th time and I was pleased as I didn't fall over, and was 10 minutes faster than last year and second MV65.
    If you like this kind of thing I recommend Blubberhouses 25, a LDWA local event - Sunday 26th March

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Good effort and glad you enjoyed it. Very benign conditions this year and the climb up the Chevin was not slippery. It's a very friendly affair. That was Steve the photographer and Sharon giving out goodies in Menston. See Yorkshire runner FB for photo's.
    I finished in 4:43 so you must have been just before me. What's your name? This was my 10th time and I was pleased as I didn't fall over, and was 10 minutes faster than last year and second MV65.
    If you like this kind of thing I recommend Blubberhouses 25, a LDWA local event - Sunday 26th March
    Paul Hayward.

That Blubberhouses one looks great actually, but I think my wife might have a word if I leave her with the kids for a whole day again so soon! May have to stick to the Ilkley Moor fell race.

I have stupidly signed up for Leeds Marathon - I should stress that I have no interest in road running but I feel I should tick it off. Hoping it'll be a doddle in comparison though.

Well we will be tramping over a lot of moors, farmland and a little road again next Saturday. Anyone out for a trot and mobile feast?

I didn't run this today as I've knackered my back, but went out to watch. Good day for it apart from the wind on top. Quite a few fallers judging by the blood on folks.

MattPo that explains why I couldn't find you in the results. Where were you watching? Was it you at the bottom of the Chevin who called out "BritNick"? If not I've no idea who it was.
    It was a nice day for it. As usual I had to strip off a bit once I got down to Burley Woodhead off the final moor.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    MattPo that explains why I couldn't find you in the results. Where were you watching? Was it you at the bottom of the Chevin who called out "BritNick"? If not I've no idea who it was.
    It was a nice day for it. As usual I had to strip off a bit once I got down to Burley Woodhead off the final moor.
    Yes, that was me at the bottom of the Chevin. Good to see you, just sorry I couldn't run it with you. Not a bad day for it, apart from the wind on the moor.
    How many times have you run it now?