Page 101 of 300 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2998

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I always stick to the tourist path for a couple of hundred yards maximum, then branch off to the right down to the quarry. A little longer but more pleasant than a busy tourist path, and I suspect quicker on a busy day.

Having said that I absolutely love the tourist path in terms of scenery and industrial interest.
    I think the best descent from the Old Man is the Torver race route - due south from the structure on the top - the steps point in the right direction, or towards Beacon tarn in the distance if it is clear - a path/trod very quickly appears under your feet - it wanders around a bit but if you get it right it is 95% runnable grass - you end up just above the junction of the Walna Scar track and the path leading to Goat's water.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I think the best descent from the Old Man is the Torver race route - due south from the structure on the top - the steps point in the right direction, or towards Beacon tarn in the distance if it is clear - a path/trod very quickly appears under your feet - it wanders around a bit but if you get it right it is 95% runnable grass - you end up just above the junction of the Walna Scar track and the path leading to Goat's water.
    I was tempted to go that way to get an ice cream from the van at Walna Scar but settled for a coffee in town instead

Master
    7.39 miles, 938 feet, 71 minutes: Skelwith Fold - Skelwith Bridge - Drunken Duck. Very gusty - at no stage did the wind seem to adopt a definite direction. Lots of small branches down. Very few people about, though I did not go through town. Shorts and vest - not at all cold.

Master
    11.93 miles, 3,514 feet, 3 hours 6 minutes: Low Sweden Bridge - Low/High Pike - Dove Crag - Scandale - Red Screes. Blustery wind, intermittent light rain, ground very wet. A few on the fells, including some other runners.

Master
    10.5 miles, 1,125 feet, 1 hour 42 minutes: Drunken Duck - Outgate figure of 8. Light rain at first, then some sun between the clouds - much better than the forecast. Some walkers/cyclists; lots of cars. Perfect temperature for running.

Master
    Wansfell Pike walk with partner (4 miles, 1,400 feet, 1 hour 42 minutes) - heaving on top - I counted 20 others - but of course they have every right to be there. Then the Drunken Duck loop - 7.4 miles, 791 feet, 73 minutes - the pub was quite busy outside - a lovely afternoon.

Master
    6.68 miles, 2,467 feet, 2 hours 2 minutes: Wansfell Ridge. Wettest it has been for a long time: puddles where I have never seen them before. Intermittent heavy rain, very windy on top, but not cold. Very few about on the fells - I imagine town is different.

Master
    10.37 miles, 2,644 feet, 2 hours 33 minutes: Waterhead - Middle Grove - The Struggle - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm. Overcast, misty on top, perfect temperature. Pavements in town busy - no attempts at distancing - large groups just walk through each other - yet distancing costs nothing, it just takes a little thought and minimal effort. I know the risks are low, but they can so easily be made even lower.

Master
    12 miles, 2,710 feet, 3 hours 19 minutes: Scandale Pass - Caiston Glen - Kirkstone Inn - Middle Grove. Overcast and cool, but only 1 brief shower. Very few on the route I took, though there was a group of 18 queuing at a stile - no distancing of course.

Master
    12.75 miles, 3,278 feet, 3 hours 32 minutes: Middle Grove - Kirkstone Inn - Caiston Glen - Scandale - Roundhill Farm. Strong cold wind at times, intermittent rain, very wet underfoot. Not too busy on the fells.