Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: the Hebden

Re: the Hebden

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    On the plus side it means I will have to try and keep someone in my sights on the day...
    It shouldn't be a problem MG. I've always managed to find people to follow on The Hebden. It's always popular, and being LDWA, there's always a walker coming up behind you no matter how much you slow down.
    In fact, this is the only event in which, whilst attempting to keep running, I've been overtaken by a walker ON A DOWNHILL SECTION!

Just make sure that you latch onto someone who's doing the long course when you're at the major refreshment stop before the short and long routes diverge. You don't want to see your routefinder heading off along the canal leaving you to set off up Stoodley Pike by yourself.

I suspect there might be a few of us who could form a nice little forum group to jog/limp round. The entry list is stuffed with forum celebrities...
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    I can't make this either as my achilles is still stuffed.
    Need to have a look at the second half of the route some time soon though... only two weeks to go!
    The second half IS quite tricky, but see my post above. If you don't know where you're going, the main thing to avoid is being in the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    It shouldn't be a problem MG. I've always managed to find people to follow on The Hebden. It's always popular, and being LDWA, there's always a walker coming up behind you no matter how much you slow down.
    In fact, this is the only event in which, whilst attempting to keep running, I've been overtaken by a walker ON A DOWNHILL SECTION!

Just make sure that you latch onto someone who's doing the long course when you're at the major refreshment stop before the short and long routes diverge. You don't want to see your routefinder heading off along the canal leaving you to set off up Stoodley Pike by yourself.

I suspect there might be a few of us who could form a nice little forum group to jog/limp round. The entry list is stuffed with forum celebrities...
    Thanks for the confidence boost there TF.
    Yes I forgot that some people are doing a shorter route (bally lightweights!).
    Will make sure I communicate along the way
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

The second half IS quite tricky, but see my post above. If you don't know where you're going, the main thing to avoid is being in the lead.
    Oh you are funny!!!!!

I don't think there's any danger of that... I'll probably somewhere around the tail end of the runners and (hopefully) in front of all the fastest walkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    : somewhere around the tail end of the runners and (hopefully) in front of all the fastest walkers.
    The perfect position. See you and MG right there!

The perfect position. See you and MG right there!
    Ooh look we've got a team already!
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Excellent. Just don't bank on winning a prize.

Don't worry about getting lost, you'll all catch me up at some (check) point, feeding my face, this is not a race, it's dining out
    Hills and Guinness!

I can report that I ran some of the route by headtorch last night and although very snowy, it's generally fine to run on and even better to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    Don't worry about getting lost, you'll all catch me up at some (check) point, feeding my face, this is not a race, it's dining out

You wanna try the Bullock Smithy... what a gastro-fest that is... I had trouble keeping up... with the eating

Can't make the Hebden... local 15 mile club event delayed from December to do instead that I'll round up a bit with a creative route home.

I'm toying with the Fellsman Steve... what d'you reckon?

Think I should, but I have trouble navigating my way out the front door some days!
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge