Page 263 of 268 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,630 of 2674

Thread: Brexit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    so, here's a multi-property owning, six-figure tax payper who has moved his assets offshore telling us what the working class want and what they are like.

Thanks
    Who has employed many and is friends with more , a family with many staunch yorkshire folk.
    I know what they think, they are fortright in telling me!

But if you want "proof": it was observed that in sedgefield club, (blairs constituency just lost)
    The pictures on the wall include many regimental pictures, not just old mines. As a local commented , most round there know a family with someone in the forces. They are patriotic so they hate IRA and Corbyn's labour.
    Last edited by Oracle; 16-12-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Banned
    so which shoes are best for the Three Peaks? Something with a waffle tread?
    The 3P is a lot harder on your feet and ankles than you expect. It doesnt need the traction of something like sedbergh descents. Even Grippy offroaders will do. Go for cushioning. IMHO

Banned
    I think he meant "Yorkshiremen"
    Sort of mistake corbyn would make. He probably doesnt know Yorkshire is in the north
    Last edited by Oracle; 16-12-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    I think most true working class northerners are sick to death of being told how we should vote by a bunch of fake working class lefties who couldn’t knock a nail in straight and couldn’t cut a straight line in a lump of 50 by 6 mild still angle
    Take Lady Nugee. Sorry I mean Emily Sneerbury. Barrister, wife of a judge. Silver spoon in mouth.
    How does she pretend to understand how working class think? Like Corbyn, I am guessing she can't even book a train to get two seats together! Since she never ventures further than watford she doesn't have to!

Sure, I am comfortable. But I had to work sodding hard for it. I am guessing I did more hours between the age of 20 and 40 than most ever do in a life time, I often worked longer than junior doctors claim to, weeks at a time. Burnt out by the age of 40. I like making things too daletown, and I get a twitch if I see things that are not straight or parallel! I have sacked many a tradesman on that basis!
    Last edited by Oracle; 16-12-2019 at 09:45 PM.

I often worked longer than junior doctors claim to
    Go for cushioning. IMHO
    and is friends with more
    Sort of mistake corbyn would make
    a family with many staunch yorkshire folk.
    They are patriotic so they hate IRA and Corbyn's labour.
    Oracle, the gift that keep on giving.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Your perception is spot on, WP
    I agree.

Is it more than a coincidence that Mole and Troll rhyme?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    But I had to work sodding hard for it. I am guessing I did more hours between the age of 20 and 40 than most ever do in a life time
    I think there has been a huge lifestyle change for the general population.

Typically in the early 80s when I started work in a Bacup shoe factory we worked 40 hour weeks, we were fortunate to be in a fairly successful operation and so rather than short-time we had mostly overtime options and took them.
    Between 1983 and 1989 my average working week was probably 45-50 hours and my wife's was probably slightly higher and that allowed us to build a base on what would now be classed as close to minimum wage jobs.

It was quite typical and I know it was also similar for my parents.

In 1989 I had a rush of blood and decided to set up a small show factory.

For the next 10 years my wife and I worked every Monday to Friday, Saturday mornings and often up to 8 hours on a Sunday.
    My wife worked on a sewing machine at home and the Sunday work was because we had one machine only she could run, and I had to work the operation before her.

60 hours + pw was the norm. A 1 week holiday away biennially and perhaps another week off across the year.

That wasn't typical, except perhaps for the self-employed and I made my bed....

The change whether better or not, presents challenges, not least the lack of tax revenue these days from under 25s and hence the need to extend the working life on those 50+ now who in many cases started their working life at 16.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Never seen the bloke before but Jason Cowley from the New Stateman was on Politics Live today.

Worth watching on iPlayer if interested. I think his comments were quite astute on what went wrong for Labour.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Never seen the bloke before but Jason Cowley from the New Stateman was on Politics Live today.

Worth watching on iPlayer if interested. I think his comments were quite astute on what went wrong for Labour.
    What were the key points - or is it too nuanced to summarise? Sorry, I'm time-poor some days.