Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fell race bagging

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    I blame the late, great Alfred Wainwright!

Once I'd ticked off all the Wainwright's I was looking for a new challenge.

The Birkett's gave me inspiration and introduced me to previously unvisited parts of Lakeland.

When a change of scenery was required I'd find myself up in Scotland bagging Munros. All was going well on the Munro front until I discovered fellrunning. The Munros took a back seat as fell racing soon became an obsession.

Like most, I had a 'to-do list' and before I knew it I was ticking off races and bagging different ones on a weekly basis.

From year to year races disappear, only to be replaced with new ones. We currently have approximately 500 different fell races in the race calendar....so that's my aim, 500 different fell races.

Why not do the same ones every year?

Some races will be hard to miss but my 'bagging' instinct is simply too great.

Below is a list of the races bagged in the last seven years....races done more than once are numbered accordingly:

AL CATEGORY RACES

Pendle full tour x7
    Duddon long x 3
    Wasdale x 4
    Borrowdale x 5
    Sedburgh Hills x 3
    Three Shires x 3
    Langdale Horseshoe x 6
    Edale Skyline x 3
    Three Peaks x 5
    Isle of Jura x 2
    Ennerdale x 2
    Great Lakes
    Howtown
    Teenager with altitude
    Stuc a chroin 5000
    Buttermere Horseshoe
    Holme Moss x 2
    Peris Horseshoe
    Old County Tops x 2
    Helvellyn and the dodds
    Cwn Pennant Horseshoe x 2
    Black mountains
    Pendle Cloughs
    peak raid 3 totley
    rab mini calver

Current total is 409 different races....plenty more to keep me busy.

I'll keep updating now and then....see you at a race....somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fell up fell down View Post
    you might have to list how many pairs of shoes you've gone through! ;-)
    very disappointed you haven't listed your PBs in all the races Darren..what sort of list is that..

So far August is turning out to be pretty productive on the bagging front.

Burbage Skyline: held later in the year than normal which made for tough going through the high ferns....excellent race.

Bradwell: Is it really summer? Wet night for this fast and furious blast over the tops of the village.

Steel Fell: who said you don't get 'owt for nowt?'....well they're wrong!...this little Lakeland classic is free and the views are priceless.

Appleby Show Murton Pike: 3rd race in 3 days and it's not 6 mile as advertised...it's 7.5mile....oh well, lovely day out.

Did Borrowdale for the 6th time....struggling to miss it for Hellifield or Osmotherly....they'll be done eventually?
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Bradwell: Is it really summer? Wet night for this fast and furious blast over the tops of the village.
    Sounds like Mary Poppins! Good to see you yesterday at Murton - the run up and down the pike was brilliant but we did have a lot of approach work to do.

A few more 'bagged'

Lowther Lakeland Trail: Like the race name suggests, this is a trail race that's made its way into the fell calendar. It's a lovely 13 miles which is mostly off road taking in open moorland, fields, a river crossing and the grounds of Lowther Estate.....added bonus, there's also a huge country show.

(Not) Round Latrigg: A change of route from the original Round Latrigg due to the flood damage a couple of years ago. This new route is longer with more climb and doesn't go around Latrigg, it goes past and joins the Cumbrian Way to Lonscale fell gate and returns....hence, (Not)Round Latrigg.

Falstone Falcon: The race is part of Falstone Show which is just south of Kielder Water. Surprised with how rough the course was underfoot, plenty of tussocks and thick forestation to contend with....thankfully well marked.

A few more 'bagged'

Lowther Lakeland Trail: Like the race name suggests, this is a trail race that's made its way into the fell calendar. It's a lovely 13 miles which is mostly off road taking in open moorland, fields, a river crossing and the grounds of Lowther Estate.....added bonus, there's also a huge country show.

(Not) Round Latrigg: A change of route from the original Round Latrigg due to the flood damage a couple of years ago. This new route is longer with more climb and doesn't go around Latrigg, it goes past and joins the Cumbrian Way to Lonscale fell gate and returns....hence, (Not)Round Latrigg.

Falstone Falcon: The race is part of Falstone Show which is just south of Kielder Water. Surprised with how rough the course was underfoot, plenty of tussocks and thick forestation to contend with....thankfully well marked.
    ..............and few more won as well. You kept that quiet Daz. Well done.
    Thanks first collecting and delivering my V50 prize last night.
    See the light in the night

What's your BH timetable Darren? Malham, Grasmere, Reeth, Kilnsey? Halton Gill on the Sunday perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Quosh View Post
    What's your BH timetable Darren? Malham, Grasmere, Reeth, Kilnsey? Halton Gill on the Sunday perhaps.
    It's certainly a busy weekend for races.

It would be good to tick off a few that I haven't done...I may have a look at West Witton, Halton Gill, Black Combe Country Fair....I'm undecided as yet.

What about yourself?

It's certainly a busy weekend for races.

It would be good to tick off a few that I haven't done...I may have a look at West Witton, Halton Gill, Black Combe Country Fair....I'm undecided as yet.

What about yourself?
    I tend to gravitate to races I've already done. Although obviously that's a flawed MO if ever there was one!

I like Malham. The show is small but lots going on; with a splash at the start and finish.

I didn't get out of bed in time for Grasmere last year. Upper Littondale/Halton Gill would be an acceptable replacement and alot nearer.

There's camel racing at Reeth and Swaledale is pretty special.

And I have booked Tuesday off work as Kilnsey always looks impressive when they're setting up the show.

It's doubtful I'll make 4-in-4. It's been mainly cycling for the last 4 weeks for me. Malham and Kilnsey are looking like the strongest contenders at the moment.

I managed Oak Croak in Dartmoor, a race i dont think Darren has done.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dantodman View Post
    I managed Oak Croak in Dartmoor, a race i dont think Darren has done.

Dan
    Hi Dan

You're correct mate, I've not yet done that one.

See you soon