Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: I've raced my last race.

Not sure i ever really conversed with you on here Marco, but my comiserations... may i be bold enough to ask your age?

Banned
    Never nice to admit it but the hard thing is done.

Now fine things that you can do.

All the best Matt and don't stop posting on here.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It is with great reluctance, and considerable mental pain, that I add my name to those who will never race again. The surgical addition of metal to part of my pelvis, earlier this month, means I will never run again - let alone do the running I love.

I have found it particularly difficult to accept as it was due to rare condition I was born with, and one that meant one hip joint was 10mm higher than the other leading to a text book full of obscure lengthy injuries.

I wish to express my gratitude to Welsh Harrier, of this parish, who was exceptionally helpful to me during my short fell career.
    You have done well to get any running done, given your congenital condition. But it must still be painful to have to stop doing something you enjoy.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I'm sorry to hear that Marco. I hope you have other reasons to get out into the hills. It's not all about the running.

Cheers for getting back to me Marco, and I hope cycling provides you with as much enjoyment.

Ps I'm 38....

Banned
    Fingers crossed Marco.

May not be at the sharp end but running is better than watching.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

Ps I'm 38....
    He was assuming that you are a similar age to the majority of frequent posters on here.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Whippersnapper

On a similar subject, one of my clubmates who i know only as a runner... he has had multiple attempts to get under 3hr marathon, despite many setbacks and injuries... finally achieved it last year by 15 seconds.

Whilst that is massively impressive, it certainly wouldn't mark him out as an elite sportsman...

Yet i found out yesterday that he cycled for GB in one of the road races in the 2012 London Olympics!

ps Marco... i do on occasion find myself heading in the direction of N.Wales.... and would be happy to provide lifts if at all possible... unfortunately i do usually make a weekend of it with family though if i'm headed that way, but should i be making a daytrip i'll keep you posted if able to provide a lift.
    Last edited by Travs; 29-07-2020 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

After the second meeting I looked him up and, take note Graham Breeze, he is a reigning world cycling champion in one of the track disciplines. Yes, it's in a age category over M60, but cycling is less effected by age and illness than running so the standard is still high.
    All medals are in age categories - but some are open.

I have run only 8 miles this year. Both were races. My knees then hurt.

Yesterday I walked 15 miles. My knees ached a bit.

Today I passed 2000 miles on my bike(s) this year. It would be nice to reach 3500 by Christmas.

The knee surgeon that did my operation told me that all fell runners, because of the hammer affect when running downhill, inevitably destroy some part of their body eventually - usually knees - if they don't stop fell running before they have to.

It is probably true that most fell runners leave it too late but those that don't, maybe like Graham Wright, can have decades of activity and success enjoying a less physically punishing sport.

Well I hope so!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".