Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakes 50 at 50

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Lakes 50 at 50

So next year I hit a big birthday and I'm already starting to think of things to tick off the bucket list. One idea I had was my own 50 @ 50 in the lakes. I'm sure there are a few on this board older than myself that have celebrated in a similar style. What did you do to mark this auspicious occasion?

I'm not up to 50 tops in a day but I'm thinking 50 in 50 hours would make an enjoyable couple of days and would be achievable without destroying what's left of my knees!

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere but what does constitute a top anyway? I see the Lakes 24 hour record doesn't allow anything under 2000 ft and needs to be more than 250ft of ascent and 1/4 mile distant from other tops. Wainwrights would give you a completely different list but then Scafell Pike would only count as one whereas the pike, ill crag and broad crag seem to be counted separately on most record attempts. Of course named OS tops gives another list.
    Last edited by PeteS; 18-03-2015 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

50 ultras. ( but then I got carried away....)
    Husband was going to do 10 Wainwrights from 7 books for 70 @70 but ended up doing all of them, plus 70 Munroes and more

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post

I see the Lakes 24 hour record doesn't allow anything under 2000 ft and needs to be more than 250ft of ascent and 1/4 mile distant from other tops.
    This is the criteria for additional tops. The record must include all the orginal tops plus extras that meet this criteria, or be done in a faster time. The original record includes tops under 2,000 feet, well at least one anyway, Steel Fell 1,814 ft. A top seams to be any summit listed by OS or wainwright.

Smile

It's your challenge so you can set your own rules - unless you specifically want to adhere to the rules of other challenges

When looking for a 60@60 next month I wanted to complete it in enough time to celebrate. Put a circuit together of 60 Birkett tops but decided it was a bit to long. You should be able to get a good route of 50 Birkett tops (although some of his tops seem a bit strange) Decided to go metric and do a 60k circuit from Langdale instead which should give us a good day out and back in time for food and beer.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    It's your challenge so you can set your own rules - unless you specifically want to adhere to the rules of other challenges
    Absolutely
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    Me? Adhere to rules? Well maybe FRA ones but that's about it!

Seriously, not considering any challenge as such. I've been pouring over a few maps and if you take any named pinnacle you can actually hit quite a lot in a relatively short distance in some areas. I was just wondering what others opinions were on what truely constituted a top....
    Last edited by PeteS; 18-03-2015 at 10:18 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
    When looking for a 60@60 next month I wanted to complete it in enough time to celebrate. Put a circuit together of 60 Birkett tops but decided it was a bit to long. You should be able to get a good route of 50 Birkett tops (although some of his tops seem a bit strange)
    That's certainly worth considering. Just had a look at the list - there's certainly some weird and wonderful hills in there! The one circuit of the NW fells I was considering was 20 wainwrights. With only a few deviations, I make that about 35 Birketts. Result!
    Last edited by PeteS; 18-03-2015 at 10:19 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

The definition of a 'top' is dependant on how high your 'top' is and it's all to do with how much drop there is on either side.

There are Munros, Corbetts, Grahams, Donalds & Furths.

You might find this page from the Scottish Mountaineering Council of interest
    http://www.smc.org.uk/Hillwalking/HillKeyFacts.php

For the Lakes I'm pretty sure all the tops have been named on the OS maps so stick with the map an you should be reet.

Good luck with the run.
    See the light in the night

The definition of a 'top' is dependant on how high your 'top' is and it's all to do with how much drop there is on either side.

There are Munros, Corbetts, Grahams, Donalds & Furths.
    Not forgetting Marilyns, Hewitts, Nuttalls, Humps... You really need to ask RobW, he's the expert on hill lists around here.