Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BG anticlockwise 22nd June

BG anticlockwise 22nd June

Me and Gav are re-attempting our joint anti-clockwise Bob Graham assault on 22nd June... and this time we intend to whip its arse but good!!! Last year we were doing okay all the way to Dunmail but floundered in dire weather somewhere in the vicinity of Nethermost Pike on our over night leg 4.

No such floundering will be acceptable this time

Anyway all being well we will be setting off at 8am on 22nd June and we already have the bulk of our assault and support teams in place. That said inevitably its at the arse end of our schedule that we may need a tad more support - perhaps one or two volunteers for legs 4 and 5. Anyone with leg 4 'extreme fog' navigational skills will be particularly welcome. Just to ensure no-one gets confused by the fact that its an anti clockwise round, our leg 4 starts from Dunmail heading up Seat Sandel and our leg 5 starts from Threlkeld heading up Halls fell.

Our schedule still needs some refining but its broadly a 23 hour schedule and could be something along the lines of 2hrs 40 leg 1, 4hrs 45 leg 2, 6hrs 55 leg 3 (Scafell is a climb and a half ), 4hrs 30 leg 4 and 4hrs 10 leg 5. That could put us at Dunmail at something like 10:30 at night or ideally (well) before and Threlkeld at 2:50 am (or earlier..... but not a second later).

Anyway pm me if you're interested and I'll get back to you. I'm away for a couple of weeks in Cornwall shortly so any reply may come back a bit higgly piggly.

Pete M let me know if you're still okay for leg 2 from Honister??

Re: BG anticlockwise 22nd June

Hope you don't mind me asking but why are you setting off so late?
    By 8am it will have been light for more than four hours. If you set off at 4am you can be at threlkeld as it gets dark and have no nav worries on the helvellyn ridge.
    It does require an early start for everyone but by lunchtime you at past scafell and nearly at halfway. Also any time you are under 24 hours is less time spent in the dark.
    Feel free to tell me to mind my own business!
    Hope this time is successful.

I think the logic is you get a normal nights sleep before hand, nerves aside!

I would not want to waste the daylight on the road and the section to Honister

Pennine's HelenA had a successful round with an 8:00 start a couple of years ago, 1:30 up at Dunmail where DazH took over to have nighmare navigation conditions over the Dodds. They needed every bit of the buffer
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 02-06-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Spookster View Post
    Hope you don't mind me asking but why are you setting off so late?
    By 8am it will have been light for more than four hours. If you set off at 4am you can be at threlkeld as it gets dark and have no nav worries on the helvellyn ridge.
    It does require an early start for everyone but by lunchtime you at past scafell and nearly at halfway. Also any time you are under 24 hours is less time spent in the dark.
    Feel free to tell me to mind my own business!
    Hope this time is successful.
    Its all a bit swings and roundabouts really. With a 23 hour schedule at that time of year I reckon its going to be dark for 4.5 hours at some point, whatever time you start. To be fair we came a cropper last year in the dark on leg 4 on the Helvellyn ridge line but the weather was so awful that, had it been the same after dark pretty much anywhere, we'd have similarly struggled. Anyway the psychological boost of dawn coming up whilst we amble up Hall's Fell will be worth it. And we get a good night's sleep right before the off of course.

Indeed, my youngest brother did his a/c round 19 years ago. As a very competent rock climber, he reckoned the highlight was getting his hands on rock as dawn broke, on Hall's Fell Ridge.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

The sunrise on the High Peak Marathon this year was the highlight of that event for me too. It really gave me a second wind.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

A quick update. We are now starting at 9 am rather than 8 (giving us the option of a full english before the off ) which gives us on schedule timings of:

Leg 1 - Keswick 9:00 am
    Leg 2 - Honister 11:35 am
    Leg 3 - Wasdale 4:15 pm
    Leg 4 - Dunmail 11:10 pm
    Leg 5 - Threlkeld 3:35 am
    Finish - Keswick 8:00 am

We could still do with one more support runner for our night shift leg 4 - any last minute volunteers? And one more for leg 3, including the magnificent Scafell climb straight out of the blocks, wouldn't do any harm - we are however planning to descend Broad Stand via ropes (we have two mountain climbing guys roping for us) so don't volunteer for leg 3 if you don't fancy that (or don't mind Foxes Tarning it and then catching us up?).

Stolly

Put me down for a Leg Mate, anyone that suits you.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

I'd help but injured Brian, how are you for road support and cake?

Hi there,

I'm planning an Anti-clockwise BG on the same day, though starting at 5am to make the most of the daylight. Might be able to help each other out somehow ?

I'll only be doing it in good weather as I am aiming for a swift time and a same day finish.