Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Plantar Fasciitis

Re: Planter Fasciitis

had it now for 5 months . only just starting to get better . several things have helped . insoles , superfeet are the best off shelf . steel toecap trainers instead of regulation workboots . stretching . strassburg sock . ice pack several times a day ( bag of peas ) iboprufen gel massaged into area that hurts . bought racing bike to keep fitness up . feel ready to do some short runs , and will give it a go in the new year . have sympathy for anyone who gets this , its a nasty injury .

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Quote Originally Posted by lilactime View Post
    had it now for 5 months . only just starting to get better . several things have helped . insoles , superfeet are the best off shelf . steel toecap trainers instead of regulation workboots . stretching . strassburg sock . ice pack several times a day ( bag of peas ) iboprufen gel massaged into area that hurts . bought racing bike to keep fitness up . feel ready to do some short runs , and will give it a go in the new year . have sympathy for anyone who gets this , its a nasty injury .
    Lilactime, so what worked then, or was it a case of desperate measures and time to chuck anything at it. Sympathy with anyone who has had this, sounds like a real bind to recover from.

i chucked everything at it , except expensive custom built insoles . still got it , buts its much better . insoles a must .

Quote Originally Posted by Brummy John View Post
    Seeing a pod and on his recommendation wearing superfeet green inserts (~£35), except when racing.
    Superfeet (green,well fitted ) worked for me. They support the feet rather than trying to twist them into a new shape! I have bought ten pairs over as many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Feet in the Cowclaps View Post
    What does this involve runningfool?

I've been injured with this for a month now.
    If it's only been a month it's probably a bit early for what is such a painful treatment.

The treatment involves having an accupuncture needled pushed through your plantar fascia (at its most tender spot) many times, right down the to bone.
    It's the "down to the bone" part that has you breaking out in a cold sweat. It really is rather painful.

The idea is that plantar fascia injuries tend to go "chronic" readily as it's hard to rest your plantar fascia. By poking a needle through the fascia repeatedly, you convert the chronic injury into an acute one which stimulates new blood vessels and all the good things that promote healing.

I had 4 treatment sessions at weekly intervals. During the treatment, my PF didn't feel much less painful but the area of tenderness in the sole of my foot seemed to get smaller each time. (It took longer for the physio to find the point of exquisite tenderness each time). Over the following 3-4 weeks, the pain reduced greatly and I was able to start running again. During this period I also got some orthotics (free off of the NHS) so I can't hand-on-heart say the the periosteal pecking was definitely the cure, but I'm pretty convinced it helped.

Quote Originally Posted by codramble View Post
    Superfeet (green,well fitted ) worked for me. They support the feet rather than trying to twist them into a new shape! I have bought ten pairs over as many years.
    ive tried all the off the shelf insoles and i agree superfeet green are the best . i put these down to it actually getting better . i also think ice pack helps a lot

Feet in the Cowclaps

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    If it's only been a month it's probably a bit early for what is such a painful treatment.

The treatment involves having an accupuncture needled pushed through your plantar fascia (at its most tender spot) many times, right down the to bone.
    It's the "down to the bone" part that has you breaking out in a cold sweat. It really is rather painful.

The idea is that plantar fascia injuries tend to go "chronic" readily as it's hard to rest your plantar fascia. By poking a needle through the fascia repeatedly, you convert the chronic injury into an acute one which stimulates new blood vessels and all the good things that promote healing.

I had 4 treatment sessions at weekly intervals. During the treatment, my PF didn't feel much less painful but the area of tenderness in the sole of my foot seemed to get smaller each time. (It took longer for the physio to find the point of exquisite tenderness each time). Over the following 3-4 weeks, the pain reduced greatly and I was able to start running again. During this period I also got some orthotics (free off of the NHS) so I can't hand-on-heart say the the periosteal pecking was definitely the cure, but I'm pretty convinced it helped.

Thanks for the info. I hope I don't have to resort to that then!

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

ive just done something i should have done 6 months ago , i went to the doctor . he has sent me for physio 3 times a week , which involves ultrasound treatment , he says this should clear it up in weeks . he also is sending me to get some custom made nhs orthotics . told me to cycle to keep fitness up , or join a gym . but not to run until all symptoms have gone . also told me to keep wearing the sock . and he gave me some painkillers that are not iboprufen , they work so well there is no pain whatsoever , even so ive got to be cautios . all this for a couple of prescriptions . anybody with it get to your doctor .

Feet in the Cowclaps

I hope you get it sorted lilactime.
    My doctor thought I had this and sent me off for an ultrasound scan to be sure, but the bloke who did the scan said it wasn't PF, as he couldn't see any inflammation. He thinks it could be a stress fracture or a trapped nerve, so the next step is to have an MRI scan. I just want to know why my foot hurts and to get back running again asap.

cowflaps , i too hope you get it sorted . mine is definately pf . its certainly better than it was , think the xmas break helped , at work im on my feet all day . i want to get running , really miss races , and theres so many i want to do . i will get there .