Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: Kentmere Horseshoe

Well, my first Lakes fell race and it was a cracker!

I felt strong all the way round, got myself to High Street in 151st so clocked on that I was potentially (& should be) in the top 50%, way better than I was expecting. My descending is 90% of the time better than my climbing so I knew I could gain a few more places on the way back down as long as I stayed strong on the remaining climbs. Finished in 143rd in 2 hours 12, over the moon...

Pre-race I was anticipating finishing at best 70% back in the field but more like 80%...looks like I've potentially done the top half and I felt strong all the way around which was the main thing.

Like Travs said above, tough going on the descent all the way off Kentmere Pike to the lane, very slippery on the rocks but thankfully I managed no falls or injuries. Bring on next year...
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Great race and organisation today, really enjoyed it...

Felt pretty rough and sick all the way up to Ill Bell, but by the time I got to High Street in 86th was feeling fine and running well. Really started to kick on from there and moved up a few places, until the final descent off Kentmere Pike which was an absolute nightmare.... Steep and slippy, and after a couple of big falls I was very relieved to reach the valley, having lost 15-20 places... A strong finish as I picked off a few struggling with cramp on the lane, got me home in 2hrs 4mins and 96th place...

Seem to have the grassy descents pretty worked out, but really struggled on the rocks...

I need to bear in mind though that today was only my 4th race... With more fitness and experience next year I hope to be back again and aiming to be well under 2 hours...
    Well done Travs. I was the other DPFR finishing just behind you. Good running today and its a great route.

Derwent Dashers Calvin there were 355 starters so you were comfortably top half...!

Hi corniceman, nice to chat after, and commiserate each other on our lack of descending ability..! See you at the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Derwent Dashers Calvin there were 355 starters so you were comfortably top half...!

Hi corniceman, nice to chat after, and commiserate each other on our lack of descending ability..! See you at the next one...
    Yeah, thanks mate!! Just found the official results too, didn't have time to stay for prize giving Really chuffed I managed that finishing position

Enjoyed the route - a brilliantly varied course. It was my first Lakeland fell-race and loved it- had a steady run (2:28) and learned a few tips about kit and strategy but that's fine. The descent off Kentmere Pike was 'fun'.

Calvin - well done on your first one too. I recognise your name from local runs and we sometimes finish closely - you were 15mins+ on this one. Strong running.

Who was doing the photos near High Street?

Quote Originally Posted by ChorleyMike View Post

There's a pile of pics up at http://www.granddayoutphotography.co...ce-sunday-19th

Thanks everyone for a top race - especially anyone manning a chilly checkpoint on the tops - a proper Lakeland adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by ChorleyMike View Post
    Enjoyed the route - a brilliantly varied course. It was my first Lakeland fell-race and loved it- had a steady run (2:28) and learned a few tips about kit and strategy but that's fine. The descent off Kentmere Pike was 'fun'.

Calvin - well done on your first one too. I recognise your name from local runs and we sometimes finish closely - you were 15mins+ on this one. Strong running.

Fantastic running, Mike, hope you are happy with your time! Glad to see I wasn't the only one on my first Lakeland fell race & I agree on the descent off the Pike, by far the trickiest and most technical I've done thus far.

Another great day, thanks to all involved.
    There were 40-50 of us politely lining up for the stile just after Buck Crag, when somebody ran past the whole queue and nipped over - thereby moving up from about 290th to about 250th. Shame on you, Sir. We are Englishmen, not savages!
    Run the race. Keep the faith.
    (2 Tim 4:7)

Same when it was a champs race even when we told them not to do it, did overtake them struggling further up so may have had some karma.

Dan

Name and shame and I'll bet they drive BMWs.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run