Page 138 of 303 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 3023

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    9.22 miles, 2,454 feet, 2 hours 28 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Intermittent rain/hail/sunshine. A very strong cold wind - even getting to the top of Loughrigg was a bit of a challenge. Sodden slippery terrain. 3 others on the fell, and some mountain rescue chaps climbing on a small rock face just above the road.

Master
    7.86 miles, 3,862 feet , 2 hours 47 minutes: Wansfell Pike, including 3 times up/down the race route to the kissing gate. Sunshine/clouds/showers of graupel/strong cold wind. At one stage I had both hands up to protect one side of my face. Not as wet nor as slippery as yesterday. Saw 7 on the fell, including a group of 5, and a hesitant couple looking at a map on top of the Pike.
    Last edited by Mike T; 12-03-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Every day is a school day. I've just Googled and now know what graupel is. I suspect I'll have forgotten it before I get the chance to use it in anger - damn this spring weather!

graupel was an answer on University Challenge in recent weeks.

As was Howgill Fells.

However i didn't know the answer to the two counties in which the Forest Of Bowland is in... i said Lancashire/Yorkshire... not quite correct, as it is apparently Lancashire/North Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Every day is a school day. I've just Googled and now know what graupel is. I suspect I'll have forgotten it before I get the chance to use it in anger - damn this spring weather!
    One of my most scary moments on the hill was early one morning climbing out of Cwm Idwal and just near the Devils Kitchen. My party of four were first up that morning and were breaking steps in the snow which was nice and firm until we got just up to the left of "the kitchen" when the surface became crusty and when ones foot went through it thousands and thousands or probably millions of graupel poured out and ran down the slope.

If you have ever tried to fill a bean bag with those polystyrene balls that go everywhere well it was similar to that.

It is a sure sign that a slope can avalanche at any time as the graupel makes the layer above it unstable. As the steepness of the slope above us was easing we decided that the safer option was to go for it rather than descend and after a few minutes of hearts in mouths we made it safely to the snow covered Llyn y Cwn before, as I recall it, an out and back to Y Garn and Elidir Fawr before The Glyders, Tryfan and back to Idwal Cottage.

Happy Days!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

That is a long out-and-back from there to Elidr Fawr!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    That is a long out-and-back from there to Elidr Fawr!
    Correct Travs. In those days, long days on the hill were the norm. That route was a regular when we had to start and finish in the same place and enabled us to get the five 3 thousanders in without any road walking. I also remember that day for the descent down the Western Gulley off Tryfan which was a snow shute as the light was fading. Fantastic.

Another regular was an out and back, again from Ogwen Cottage, up Pen yr Oleu Wen ticking the Carneddau 3 thousanders incuding Yr Elen but usually descending back down the Water Board road to Ogwen, marvelling at the stream that runs uphill on the way down!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    11.1 miles, 3,113 feet, 3 hours 8 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Sunshine/showers/cold wind. Terrain not too slippery. The snow line is at about 1,700 feet, so I was well below that. Lots of people on the fell, I estimate 40 - 50, including 7 runners, some in pairs, and lots of walkers, including multiple groups of 4 adults.

Master
    8.3 miles, 3.858 feet, 2 hours 56 minutes: Wansfell Pike, including twice up and three times down the race route to the kissing gate. Overcast, intermittent light rain, a strong cold wind at the top. Terrain wet, but not saturated - not that slippery. Saw about 10 others on the fell.

Master
    10.3 miles, 3,066 feet, 3 hours 6 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Sunny with some clouds, a pleasant cool breeze. Terrain damp, soft, not slippery. Still sone streaks of snow on the higher fells. Very few about on Loughrigg, I saw perhaps half a dozen. My partner was walking on Loughrigg Terrace and got asked the way to the top.