Page 139 of 300 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189239 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 2997

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    11.88 miles, 3,222 feet, 3 hours 19 minutes: Red Screes via Roundhill Farm both ways. Sunny and warm - despite a coolish breeze on top I was down to my vest after the first hour and stayed that way. Terrain mainly dry; still some patches of snow above 2,000 feet - these are easy to avoid but there is no particular reason to do so, apart from a large cornice near the top. Saw nobody else on the fell, though there were several walkers lower down.

Master
    9.51 miles, 3,137 feet, 2 hours 47 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Found some new routes today - there is so much to this "little" fell. Overcast at first, but the sun came out for the last hour, so I got down to my vest, despite the cold wind. Terrain mainly dry. Saw about 20 on the fell, including 2 fell runners.

Master
    9.97 miles, 3,468 feet, 3 hours 8 minutes: Wansfell Pike, with once down/up the race route to the kissing gate. Mainly sunny with the odd thin cloud; a pleasant cool breeze - I was down to my vest. Terrain mainly dry and soft. About a dozen on the fell. 30 - 40 people at Waterhead, sitting in the sun, or messing about in kayaks - biggest crowd I have seen for a long time.

Master
    9.86 miles, 3,042 feet, 2 hours 47 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Mainly overcast, but the clouds are very thin, so the heat of the sun can still be felt: I only needed my vest. A nice cool breeze from time to time. The terrain is dry and soft. Quite a few about, both on the fell and on the roads, and the free parking spots are filling up.

Master
    13.11 miles, 3,775 feet, 3 hours 45 minutes: Swinescar Pike, via Clappersgate, Loughrigg top, High Close, Elterwater, Silver How, and Lang How on the way there, and Loughrigg top and Fishgarths Wood on the return. Sunny, a cool breeze, soft dry terrain. Lots on Loughrigg - there must have been 30 on the top on my second visit.

Swinescar Pike and Lang How... takes me back to the Mountain Trial in 2018... one of the final checkpoints was a sheepfold just below Swinescar Pike, after a long leg all the way over from Calf Crag.

Trying to locate that sheepfold coming up from Easedale tarn, after 6hrs of hard work, was the very definition of a "Trial"!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Swinescar Pike and Lang How... takes me back to the Mountain Trial in 2018... one of the final checkpoints was a sheepfold just below Swinescar Pike, after a long leg all the way over from Calf Crag.

Trying to locate that sheepfold coming up from Easedale tarn, after 6hrs of hard work, was the very definition of a "Trial"!
    On Garmin's satellite view there are what appear to be sheep folds south of Swinescar Pike - one just west of south, down on the intake wall, and the other just east of south, higher up. Wainwright includes the former in his illustration on Blea Rigg page 4. He does not give Swinescar Pike a name, though he gives it a cairn symbol. He does name Lang How. Neither of the sheep folds are visible from Swinescar Pike. There are lots of minor lumps and bumps in this area which could make navigation a nightmare if visibility was poor or if tired.

If i remember correctly it was a large rectangular fold, and was almost due east of Swinescar Pike, and climbing up to it from Easedale Tarn and then Blindtarn Moss, i fully agree it is a confusing area.

I think it is safe to say that i stumbled upon it more by luck than judgement!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    This post might be better in the Today's eating thread, but anyway: walk/jog over Beacon Hill, Broombriggs Hill and Windmill Hill, with a stop in the Outwoods to forage wild garlic leaves (which went in with the stir-fried Chinese leaves and red pepper this evening). 2 hours 6 minutes, including foraging time.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    12.25 miles, 3,298 feet, 3 hours 18 minutes: Fairfield c/w. Mainly cloudy, but the odd spell of sunshine. A cold breeze at the very top, luckily it was behind me. I managed in just a vest. Terrain dry/soft. Saw about 20 others on the fell, including a group of 5 fell runners.