Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Var

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Same old Dr P B.

If you have a different point of view from him on Women's sport you are a sexist, different view on immigration a racist, different view on Brexit an extremist.

In the nicest possible way can I suggest that you are a Cloud Cuckoolandist, Dr PB.
    Its ok for the Doc to be different but he shouldn't stereotype the rest of us.

This is a surreal situation, where you have an Irish man wanting to celebrate a bit of English success. I would be the first to admit the standard is not brilliant, and the coverage may be OTT, but so what? How often do women sports people receive exclusive coverage. Lighten up and enjoy it for what it is.

I think we were until someone accused posts as being a lot of crap!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I've puzzled over several aspects of female sport over the years and if any of you have read Matthew Syed's "Bounce" I think it explains some of the issues.

I used to play snooker to a decent level. I didn't start until 14 on a 6ft domestic table I got for Xmas. But when I got to go on the full size slate one, I already had a decent action, knew my angles, could swerve the ball with good control, and move the cue ball around the table.
    When I started at 14, I had learnt many of the attributes needed to play snooker well by the games and sports I'd played before.

Allison Fisher was the first prominent lady professional when the Men's professional ranks became open to all, she joined and entered the qualifying rounds to try and get up the rankings.
    She never made it on the men's circuit.

There isn't any reason why a top lady couldn't compete at snooker with top men, but it hasn't happened.
    In fact they have just had their first maximum break in a match this year.

It's not down to practise. Miss Fisher played from 7.

So I think the competitive density, the pool of talent, is also key.

But back to the women's football, there has been that competitive density now for years as well as a large pool.
    Maybe the quality of coaching hasn't quite been there and maybe there is still a lot of room for development.

Only time will tell. I suspect that ultimately Men and Women are just different and cannot be expected to be technically on the same level at all sports. Some women will be better, some men will be better at.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

My local junior club started a girls team five years ago, with which my daughter still plays, despite having no teams nearby they still struggle with the size of the squad. The girls love it and the club has four or five teams now. Getting a really deep pool of talent is still some way off.

Lionesses not roaring any more. Stadium only half full last night. The over hyped and over inflated BBC women's football balloon has well and truly burst.

A bit of wingeing about VAR but only from those with short memories who forget that it worked in England's favour against Cameroon.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

But still sit at 3rd place in the world rankings for Women’s football, they’ll be back, better and stronger and can only build on what they’ve achieved, make for interesting reading those rankings, especially when you check out some of the teams languishing around the 30’s

The rankings cannot be that accurate if England are 3rd when they have just finished 4th in the World Cup of which only 6 countries have professional leagues. The next WWC will have more teams in the finals and everyone else will have caught up so, I'm afraid, they have blown their best chance.
    Phil Neville knows this and will be off to pastures new, but I must say he has been a breath of fresh air as a manager especially terms of not making excuses and saying that his players were not good enough.

By the way, where were all the so called fans last night?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Dunno, Saturday night.. has the XFactor started again?

The rankings cannot be that accurate if England are 3rd when they have just finished 4th in the World Cup of which only 6 countries have professional leagues. The next WWC will have more teams in the finals and everyone else will have caught up so, I'm afraid, they have blown their best chance.
    Phil Neville knows this and will be off to pastures new, but I must say he has been a breath of fresh air as a manager especially terms of not making excuses and saying that his players were not good enough.

Prediction, they’ll win the World Cup next time, I am a realist, there are some players they need to drop and some younger players that they need to play more, hopefully Wales will be there next time then the real banter can begin as you will without doubt get behind the Dragons/ Dragonesses?? nope it doesn’t work either way