Page 91 of 268 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

And who ends up carrying the can for that mismanagement?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Who's paying for it? The young of those countries.

Other countries within the EU are benefiting from the skilled labour that is flowing from these areas of high unemployment. Some would argue that's market forces working well. Freedom of movement is allowing people to move to where the jobs are and preventing people being trapped in poverty.

What would you propose as an alternative?

Noel, I am an example of what you just described. I moved to the UK aged 21, and, as an I.T Professional, I would like to think I have contributed my little bit to the success of the UK economy over the past 30 plus years. I first come over as a student, but being Irish the situation would be no different, after Brexit. But if I was from France, Germany, etc, now that would be a very different story.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 19-03-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Who's paying for it? The young of those countries.

Other countries within the EU are benefiting from the skilled labour that is flowing from these areas of high unemployment. Some would argue that's market forces working well. Freedom of movement is allowing people to move to where the jobs are and preventing people being trapped in poverty.

What would you propose as an alternative?

Migration is proof of the systemic failure caused by inability to adjust either interest or exchange rate. The first to leave is not unskilled labour but all the young professionals who are welcome everywhere and who can earn several times more if they do. But by hollowing out the destitute countries, they condemn the countries to worse destitution. Because the overhead of ageing population are not and cannot move anywhere, and they have to be fed by ever fewer youngsters remaining. The demographic bomb gets worse. (That bomb is already devastating Japan,and will cause us serious problems in time)

I have said previously, one of the only ways that would have helped the euro malaise is for Germany to leave. When the german taxpayers realise they are on the hook for an italian default, they will want to leave! It is interesting that there is a growing tide of investment analysts are also saying Germany should start distancing itself if it does not want to bail them all out. See holger schmitz in the express today, one of an increasing number of voices.

So if you ask what is the solution, the answer was ditch the euro.( Sadly what might have been options 5-10 years ago are too late to make any difference now.) The alternative of fiscal union would never be accepted now.
    Last edited by Oracle; 19-03-2019 at 04:47 PM.

CL presumably you had the very long term forum posting opportunities in mind when you were Stolly-stalking me two or three years ago? So that maybe you could be armed with vague facts to misquote me on years later, as and when a topic about something or other that we disagree on came up?? 😊

I kind of live by the generalisation that 5% of any major grouping are twats; so 5% of Yorkshiremen are twats, 5% of English, 5% of Americans, 5% of Christians, Jews, Muslims etc etc are twats. And 5% (at least) of referendum voters are/were twats clearly and there should’ve been a 5% twat factor built in to the result. It doesn’t work for small groupings - 100% of twats are twats obviously and 100% of UKIP voters are twats - but as a general rule it works and does rationalise a lot of the bad things that happen or are caused to happen in the world.

For instance there was a big hoohah in Horton in Ribblesdale where I live about the disruption caused by three peaks walkers to the locals but in reality nothing like 5% of the locals were really bothered by it and nothing like 5% of the walkers were causing it - a very comfortable 95% of everybody else were fine with things but.... the 5% (more like 2%) was able to get all this reported and blown out of proportion on the BBC where they quoted that three peaks walkers were ‘making lives miserable’.

A bit of a long winded way of saying that you are clearly a member of the 5% twat fraternity within the Fell running forum 😉
    Last edited by Stolly; 19-03-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Stolly, does putting a wink after an insult make it OK?

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Stolly, does putting a wink after an insult make it OK?

Yes 😉

Stolly obviously isn’t being serious.

There’s no way the Yorkshire twat rate is that low....

(Insert appropriate emoticon here)

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Stolly obviously isn’t being serious.

There’s no way the Yorkshire twat rate is that low....

(Insert appropriate emoticon here)
    Ok ... just snort laughed tea down my nose

Banned
    The problem is in most politics (take local labour parties) the only people motivated to get involved are the twats. So twats are massively over represented in the decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    CL presumably you had the very long term forum posting opportunities in mind when you were Stolly-stalking me two or three years ago? So that maybe you could be armed with vague facts to misquote me on years later, as and when a topic about something or other that we disagree on came up?? 😊

I kind of live by the generalisation that 5% of any major grouping are twats; so 5% of Yorkshiremen are twats, 5% of English, 5% of Americans, 5% of Christians, Jews, Muslims etc etc are twats. And 5% (at least) of referendum voters are/were twats clearly and there should’ve been a 5% twat factor built in to the result. It doesn’t work for small groupings - 100% of twats are twats obviously and 100% of UKIP voters are twats - but as a general rule it works and does rationalise a lot of the bad things that happen or are caused to happen in the world.

For instance there was a big hoohah in Horton in Ribblesdale where I live about the disruption caused by three peaks walkers to the locals but in reality nothing like 5% of the locals were really bothered by it and nothing like 5% of the walkers were causing it - a very comfortable 95% of everybody else were fine with things but.... the 5% (more like 2%) was able to get all this reported and blown out of proportion on the BBC where they quoted that three peaks walkers were ‘making lives miserable’.

A bit of a long winded way of saying that you are clearly a member of the 5% twat fraternity within the Fell running forum 😉