Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap the BBC

Look for shows with Geoff Norcott on, regular on BBC, comedian with non-left wing views in some areas and very pro-brexit. Refreshingly different view to most comedians.

Scrapping BBC would probably get rid of BBC bitesize on their website. Fantastic, free student resource, covers all levels (I think from KS1, but someone may correct me) but for a GCSE revision tool it is excellent and allows many less motivated pupils an easy chance of some revision. It is also exam board specific so all can benefit.

Here in Germany tv licence is compulsory for every residential address, 18eur per month.
    Even if you don't have a tv at home, like us.
    And if you protest by not paying, after a number of aggressive letters they just help themselves.

The quality of the state sponsored tv is appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    It is the double standards that's the problem. Had she been a right-wing comic making that joke about David Lammy, it would probably have finished her TV and radio career.
    I agree. There would have been howls of outrage. But we should argue against such things rather than stooping to same the snowflakery as the left. Comedy at times can be a little outrageous and shocking and is often funny when it is. I think if I’d heard Jo Brand’s comments at the time delivered in her typically dry manner I would probably have laughed. Censorship appears to be becoming more and more prominent in this country and it’s very worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Oh
    And the BBC weather is very inaccurate. (Crap)
    They stopped buying their weather from the met office a few years ago. There were a few news articles about it at the time. They said it wasn't a good use of the licence fee, and if you want you can go on to the met office website - which I agree is better.

Quote Originally Posted by biaraV2 View Post
    Look for shows with Geoff Norcott on, regular on BBC, comedian with non-left wing views in some areas and very pro-brexit. Refreshingly different view to most comedians.
    Geoff is OK but can you really stomach watching the Mash Report for a 2 minute token slot with Nish Kumar? Dominic Frisby is another, but he's not so much a stand up comic. He's knowledgeable on economics. Very interesting bloke but rarely on screen.

Perhaps the best example of how politics affects your career on TV is Lee Hirst. I'm sure many remember him as a regular on Have I Got News For You and They Think it's all over.

He used to be left wing, critic of the Murdoch Press etc and later moved to support UKIP and Brexit.

Funnily enough his political views seem to have been synchronised with his TV career.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Can’t say I missed Lee Hirst as never really thought him funny But that’s a pretty big swing from murdoch bashing to UKIP!!

Quick google search found very few pro Brexit comedians, did put James Cary as one though he’s written a number of BBC shows, some more well known than others. But definitely more one view than the other on most channels comedy wise, I’d reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by biaraV2 View Post
    Can’t say I missed Lee Hirst as never really thought him funny But that’s a pretty big swing from murdoch bashing to UKIP!!
    Similar swing as that we see across much of the old Labour North, Midlands and Welsh Valleys.

The idea of old left/right has been swept aside.

A "working class" traditional Labour voter has been shown in the last 20 years to be more likely to switch from Labour to UKIP rather than the Tories.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

BBC to ban all-male comedy writing teams.