Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Unwritten Fell Running Rules

Re: Unwritten Fell Running Rul

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    For the record, it is definitely not acceptable to barge past half the field in the first 100m when starting from the back in the first 100m, physically knocking into fellow runners like a nutter on speed, only to grind to a slow walk within 20m when confronted by the first hill. Even if you don't pull up to a walk this is not acceptable behaviour.
    My friend did this last night at Loughrigg--- (in his defence not that there is any) his third race, he rushed out from toilet, and then got a bit carried away.

He also had people who had words with him after the race rightly so as this is the way to learn.
    I had a great chat with him in car on way home and explained the ethos of our sport how and why we do this, and what he did was wrong, he was completely and utterly devastated last night that he had created so much hassle.
    God willing he will learn if not then he will find his own way to races.
    i have to say sorry to a runner who i know is in Ireland this weekend so i will do that.

But i missed prize giving as i thought better to get him away.

I can vouch for him he is a decent chap.
    Steve
    Going to try again....

Hope that hasn't left a bitter feeling amongst all those involved. Sounds like a genuine error-of-judgement and I think it is very easy for more experienced runners to misjudge the first few hundred metres too. I was facing the wrong way at a race start this weekend and had to make a quick recalculation...
    John H - Howgill Harriers

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    My friend did this last night at Loughrigg--- (in his defence not that there is any) his third race, he rushed out from toilet, and then got a bit carried away.

He also had people who had words with him after the race rightly so as this is the way to learn.
    I had a great chat with him in car on way home and explained the ethos of our sport how and why we do this, and what he did was wrong, he was completely and utterly devastated last night that he had created so much hassle.
    God willing he will learn if not then he will find his own way to races.
    i have to say sorry to a runner who i know is in Ireland this weekend so i will do that.

But i missed prize giving as i thought better to get him away.

I can vouch for him he is a decent chap.
    Steve
    I think the best advice you could give your mate is to leave the iPod at home for races, then he would be able to relate to those around him much better. Sorry that you felt you had to go home early, as it was nowt to do with you.

Rigby

Never have a crap in a race where another runner may put his/her foot in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge the Elf View Post
    Unless it's a long race (by which I mean out for over 4 hours) a quick trip to the loo before the race should see you straight.
    Friends in high places.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge the Elf View Post
    A good friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) stepped off the path during the Famous Grouse (approx. 7km) a few years ago, dropped his shorts, dumped, and within 30 seconds had caught up with me again! I couldn't believe it.

Well that made me laugh, thanks for haring that little nugget.

:w00t:
    pies

attaching your number to your shorts can improve your running by approx 30 seconds per mile.
    running barechested/bareback is for nutcases.
    keep on keepin' on...

at the re-routed Stanbury Splash i bypassed a short queue for a style by using the gate which is 20 yards to the left of it.

you have to jump the conduit to get to the gate, but it's on my regular run so i knew it was there and i do it all the time.

i opened and closed the gate as normal and did not climb it. i gained maybe 5 or 6 places at the time.

there was an awful lot of shouting behind me.

i considered this use of local knowledge, but i clearly upset at least a couple of people.

naturally, if there hadn't been an alternative way through i would have queued

have i transgressed?

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by logicmonkey View Post
    at the re-routed Stanbury Splash i bypassed a short queue for a style by using the gate which is 20 yards to the left of it.

you have to jump the conduit to get to the gate, but it's on my regular run so i knew it was there and i do it all the time.

i opened and closed the gate as normal and did not climb it. i gained maybe 5 or 6 places at the time.

there was an awful lot of shouting behind me.

i considered this use of local knowledge, but i clearly upset at least a couple of people.

naturally, if there hadn't been an alternative way through i would have queued

have i transgressed?
    No, unless the route was flagged over the stile.