Page 5 of 300 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    I think you will find the request not to make unnessary car jouneys is to help minimise road traffic accidents which put more pressure on the NHS, seems like commonsense to me
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I think you will find the request not to make unnessary car jouneys is to help minimise road traffic accidents which put more pressure on the NHS, seems like commonsense to me
    Surely not, the roads are absolutely deserted right now. It seems counterintuitive to stop people from driving a few miles to nearby countryside to run or walk and thereby reduce the number of encounters people have with each other. It runs contrary to the idea of social distancing.

Your opinion is respected and understood. Obviously there are areas of contention... My anecdote above being but one of many... Muddy Retriever above with another common bone of contention there too...

Regarding vehicle accidents... The amount of times in the last few days I've had to quickly divert off the pavement into the road to maintain the "2 metre rule" from other members of the public...!!
    Last edited by Travs; 26-03-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Surely not, the roads are absolutely deserted right now. It seems counterintuitive to stop people from driving a few miles to nearby countryside to run or walk and thereby reduce the number of encounters people have with each other. It runs contrary to the idea of social distancing.
    Since most people live in high population density where they would otherwise exercise, and they are travelling to areas of low density when travelling to exercise, therefore it increases average distancing , so I disagree with the restriction on travel to exercise.

Indeed. I am ambivalent about such as the lakes, wales and Scotland telling others to stay away, when the resources and infrastructure of those areas allow for transitory populations of five times at least in summer the population in March, and still leaving those areas far less dense than in the cities , where many folk travel from. They are not covidiots, and the NIMBY attitude Of locals is selfish in my view.

The most outrageous actions are closing parks in urban areas such as Victoria park. Anyone who has lived in a windowless box in London knows access to green places is all that keeps you sane. Provided the people are distancing whilst there. Forcing people to live in isolation without access to daylight will lead to suicides.
    Last edited by Oracle; 26-03-2020 at 11:51 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    The most outrageous actions are closing parks in urban areas such as Victoria park. Anyone who has lived in a windowless box in London knows access to green places is all that keeps you sane. Provided the people are distancing whilst there. Forcing people to live in isolation without access to daylight will lead to suicides.
    Hear, hear!

There's similar idiocy going on around here, but not quite as harmful since Leicestershire isn't as densely packed as inner London. The County Council have announced that all its country parks are closed. Particularly daft is that the Bradgate Trust have closed Bradgate Park: this park is huge, about the size of Cheshire's Lyme Park, and similar terrain. Charnwood Borough Council have closed the Outwoods. All with the excuse that these places were packed last weekend, i.e. before Boris's lockdown announcement.

They are treating us like children. My observations since Monday are that everyone is on their best behaviour with regard to distancing (see some of earlier posts on this thread). There are plenty of people out in the fresh air, but there's enough space for us all to keep at least 2 metres between us.

I can get into the countryside within a minute's run from my front door, but I don't begrudge those living in inner urban locations the ability to drive a few minutes to the countryside (although I would prefer them to cycle!). As Oracle says, not letting them do this is likely to lead to far worse health outcomes, domestic abuse, etc.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

The first casualty of Covid-19 (and war) is truth, logic and joined up Government policy.

The Prime Minister and his advisers have clearly not identified the unintended consequences of making policy on the hoof nor explained clearly the thinking that underpins their decisions - so what hope for the local constabulary and mere citizens?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 27-03-2020 at 01:15 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    It's like traffic warden syndrome.

We've now got a reason to flex our muscles and exercise some power.

Closing parks is similar to closing golf courses.

Some people need fresh air and greenery to function on a daily basis.

Currently the media portrays a situation and the government reacts.

Common sense is needed by all but appears to be lacking more than ever in this day and age.

Stay safe.

Twas ever thus Stagger. Theres now reports of people ringing the police to ask for a neighbour to be arrested because he went out for a run twice! In East Germany, the work of the Stasi was made simple by the desire of people to inform on their fellow man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    I posted a report that the Cabinet Office have said that the restrictions don't apply to exercise and dog walking.

You'd have thought I advocated spitting in the face of OAPs.

As WP has pointed out, it's hard to see how driving a few miles to somewhere with few people and no contact with "surfaces" could be worse than walking in a city centre park. BUT, it's also easy to see how people in the Lakes, Peak District etc are pissed off with people turning up in droves. Of course this is wrong, but, as per social media, the argument has just become polarized on both sides. Ho Hum.

sadly common sense isn't that common, and that applies to all sides here, including the Derbyshire police claiming posing for selfies is "not essential"
    If Derbyshire Police had shown the video of cars on the car park and then just put out one simple message such as
    "some of these cars are registered to addresses outside of the local area. No one other than locals should be here. Driving more than 10 minutes to take exercise is not reasonable."

That would have been appropriate in my opinion.

AS for the comments about watching the sunset, not essential, well what if that was a couple who were returning home from a 12 hour shift in a hospital? They've just been shamed internationally for doing something perfectly legitimate.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

It's a shame people can't put their efforts and criticisms into people reducing their burden on the NHS at all times, like obesity/smoking/drugs... rather than the 'crusade of the month', people who would appear to be trying to live healthily in a difficult situation.