Page 43 of 304 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    If i lived in the Lakes/Snowdonia, it would certainly encourage me to run more miles (i think my last week's holiday in the Lakes i knocked up 101 miles)

However the thought of going for a bog-standard "evening run" round here, with no purpose, doesn't appeal to me much at all... i'd much rather get on a treadmill and do some decent hard work followed by a gym session, or a club session on the track/road.
    My evening run at the minute is quite industrial so in effect I can just zone out, a form of meditation I suppose and a bit like treadmill running, Mrs DTR had a treadmill before we moved to our current house but I never used it, I would rather just go out whatever the weather. I’m quite a fan of running through town as well sometimes, a bit of people watching/ looking in pub windows etc makes for a different run.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    At present around 50 miles a week, so at least 7 x 7 miles, in normal circumstances around 70-75 and on weeks with a long run around 90, quiet often run with MRS DTR once a day and then on my own in the evening. As you can probably understand I’m finding the current restrictions very hard
    Back in marathon days, I tried doing 90-100 but later found less was more. I never recovered on that regime. Always knackered.

I ran much faster times on 5 day running. A very long. A moderately long fast, a set of long reps and maybe two pace runs over 10 and 6, was maybe 60 total.
    Translating to fells a 4 -6 hour slow , a 2-3 hour fast. Two one hours and a set of hill circuit reps lasting an hour. All my best times came from those, and could do any AL off that training.
    Last edited by Oracle; 10-04-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    My evening run at the minute is quite industrial so in effect I can just zone out, a form of meditation I suppose and a bit like treadmill running, Mrs DTR had a treadmill before we moved to our current house but I never used it, I would rather just go out whatever the weather. I’m quite a fan of running through town as well sometimes, a bit of people watching/ looking in pub windows etc makes for a different run.
    I did get out on the roads today, but a fairly typical one for these parts... have to cross the largest council estate in North Warwickshire to get out to the country roads, so not a scenic start... then once out in the country, managed about 10 minutes before nearly getting mowed down by three cars racing each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Back in marathon days, I tried doing 90-100 but later found less was more. I never recovered on that regime. Always knackered.

I ran much faster times on 5 day running. A very long. A moderately long fast, a set of long reps and maybe two pace runs over 10 and 6, was maybe 60 total.
    Translating to fells a 4 -6 hour slow , a 2-3 hour fast. Two one hours and a set of hill circuit reps lasting an hour. All my best times came from those, and could do any AL off that training.
    My coach is of the opinion you should run every day (if your fitness is up to it), but only hard twice a week. So if racing every weekend then that's only one hard session in a week.

I do find it difficult to manage everything, as we tend to have two club hard sessions a week (99% of my clubmates consider my racing schedule to be utterly reckless, and they might race 5 times a year outside of cross country and road relays). But i'd prefer to have a hard hill session in there too, if time permitted. I tend to drop the hard hill session, and keep the club sessions, as i think it's important to run hard on the flat even when training for fells.

Banned
    I suspect you are a far better runner!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    My coach is of the opinion you should run every day (if your fitness is up to it), but only hard twice a week. So if racing every weekend then that's only one hard session in a week.

I do find it difficult to manage everything, as we tend to have two club hard sessions a week (99% of my clubmates consider my racing schedule to be utterly reckless, and they might race 5 times a year outside of cross country and road relays). But i'd prefer to have a hard hill session in there too, if time permitted. I tend to drop the hard hill session, and keep the club sessions, as i think it's important to run hard on the flat even when training for fells.

Master
    [QUOTE=Travs;659541]No doubt there are idiots about... But not seen anything published about exactly where they are originating from. Without casting aspersions, I'd estimate a lot more coming from the fringes of Cumbria itself than travelling half the country.

Here you go :-

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...ce-way-4032988

and :-

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/n...strict-4037004

plenty more to be found if you look but this one below is the winner:-

https://twitter.com/VisitKeswick/sta...948417/photo/1

A whole load of folk showing common sense and compassion for which I for one thank them.
    Last edited by JohnK; 10-04-2020 at 09:34 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    I suspect you are a far better runner!
    I very much suspect not! Especially if you were doing 90-100 mile weeks, you obviously had more ability than I'll ever have.

One of our older guys, in his 60's, was from the Ron Hill, Dave Bedford era.... 100 mile weeks, every week... Had a marathon best of somewhere between 2:15-2:20....

There's a club legend that he ran something like 2:15 one weekend, and 2:21 the next weekend... Not sure if true, but an absolute beast nonetheless!
    Last edited by Travs; 10-04-2020 at 09:43 PM.

Banned
    Quality not quantity.

Mass miles on hard surfaces ruined so many runners.

Ground with give in it and different cadence lengths helps in all aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Quality not quantity.

Mass miles on hard surfaces ruined so many runners.

Ground with give in it and different cadence lengths helps in all aspects.
    There's got to be some kind of element of quantity though.

My belief is if you're not doing, say, 20-25 miles a week consistently, then there's not really much point in doing "quality" hard sessions, you'd be better off building up a base of consistent running until that point.

I see so many people in the gym who do one "cardio" session a week and try to do it flat out, then wonder why they get hurt/injured.

I'm a regular on Bing Maps. I use the OS option to check out minor paths and the years of checking has helped in recent weeks as I have managed to keep well out of the way by using some of these seldom trodden routes.

Just tried to look this morning and the OS option isn't working. Can see the road option, and aerial view.

Could it be a plot to make it harder to venture out
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell