Page 44 of 303 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Banned
    Not so. Very ordinary runner.

At my best I was a 2.45 capable, that harboured ambitions of breaking the magic 2.37. Never got close.
    I ramped up miles for a season and just got slower. I had more DNFs that year, than anytime before or after, All my best times were off a 5 day 50-60 mile programme.
    No junk miles at all. All but the very long were faster than marathon. Two days off saw improvement, the quality sessions became higher quality. Also, tapering I found it was better to actually increase quality but substantially drop volume. So the 9 rep session tapered to 5 but faster etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I very much suspect not! Especially if you were doing 90-100 mile weeks, you obviously had more ability than I'll ever have.

One of our older guys, in his 60's, was from the Ron Hill, Dave Bedford era.... 100 mile weeks, every week... Had a marathon best of somewhere between 2:15-2:20....

There's a club legend that he ran something like 2:15 one weekend, and 2:21 the next weekend... Not sure if true, but an absolute beast nonetheless!
    Last edited by Oracle; 11-04-2020 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

At my best I was a 2.45 capable, that harboured ambitions of breaking the magic 2.37.

Now don't be so modest, Oracle.

A 2.45 is not too shabby for a V60.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Now don't be so modest, Oracle.

A 2.45 is not too shabby for a V60.
    but then I was Barely V40 at the time.

These days I am happy when somebody watching thinks I am a runner!
    They should go to specsavers!
    Last edited by Oracle; 11-04-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Banned
    And today's permitted exercise was to cut our lawns front and back.

Next doors lawns as they gave me a thumbs up out of their window (they are on total lockdown due to ill health reasons)

Pensioners across the road and grass verges for 3 properties.

Good deeds and good exercise.

4000 steps counted on the phone😃

but then I was Barely V40 at the time.

These days I am happy when somebody watching thinks I am a runner!
    They should go to specsavers!
    Ha ha.

As a V40 I had just finished a 2.55 and Terry Lonergan (The Complete Runner) walked up to me and said "Great! A 2.50 next time then?"

Instead I turned to fell running.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

At my best I was a 2.45 capable, that harboured ambitions of breaking the magic 2.37. Never got close.
    I ramped up miles for a season and just got slower. I had more DNFs that year, than anytime before or after, All my best times were off a 5 day 50-60 mile programme.
    No junk miles at all. All but the very long were faster than marathon. Two days off saw improvement, the quality sessions became higher quality. Also, tapering I found it was better to actually increase quality but substantially drop volume. So the 9 rep session tapered to 5 but faster etc.
    Yep, better than me then...

the guys i usually find myself around in training are sub-3 for marathon, but only just, so i suppose that is the best i could hope for. Could perhaps aim a little higher if i gave up this fell malarkey and dedicated myself to the roads... but that isn't going to be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I'm a regular on Bing Maps. I use the OS option to check out minor paths and the years of checking has helped in recent weeks as I have managed to keep well out of the way by using some of these seldom trodden routes.

Just tried to look this morning and the OS option isn't working. Can see the road option, and aerial view.

Could it be a plot to make it harder to venture out
    It does do that occasionally... doing the same for me at the moment, which is a shame as i'm trying to piece together a bit of a long jaunt in the Lake District for when i get the opportunity to finish the Wainwrights off...

Bike ride up to the reservoir where there was not a single person, good, there shouldn't be. Then a lovely ride round the reservoir on the forest tracks and back home. Total of 20 miles and 2500ft, my first 20 miler this year but slowly creeping up on the ascents and feeling fine
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

10 miles, 1100ft, 3:08

Today was notable for the picnic bench in the middle of nowhere which someone has seen fit to cover with poo, presumably to discourage anyone from sitting there.
    It's a bench I've passed several hundred times, and never once sat there anyway, but seems a tad OTT to me.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I was considering a duathlon for tommorrow; so a bike leg out to a run, and a bike leg back. I thought i'd better recce the run leg start point as there have been reports on here of local vigilante action around the Washburn Valley. This is what i found:

Rights of way obstructed by means of improvised metal gates and galv fencing, unofficial notices stating that the locals have taken the decision to close the ROW. During my discussion with the landowner another local turned up in a VW camper and stated he intends to turn the dogs on anyone who uses public rights of way through his farmyard. It is an offence to obstruct a public right of way.

I've reported it to North Yorks County Council, it is a County matter not a Borough or Parish matter because it concerns a right of way which comes under 'Transport', and transport matters seem to be the responsibility of County Councils. You have to download a form and email it in, it's a bit of a faff and you need to know the name of the Parish the area falls under, visit the site https://www.achurchnearyou.com/ to determine which parish you are in. The police have said that it is nothing to do with them, i rang them also.

I think in principle unlawful obstruction of rights of way needs challenging. These lot are ganging together and acting from a position of mob rule. The guys cat came to say hello to me while i was there; as i bent down to stroke it he went nuts saying i could transmit the virus to the cat! What i saw was a man crippled by fear and acting out of desperation, part of me wished i could release him from this torture.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent