Page 758 of 846 FirstFirst ... 258658708748756757758759760768808 ... LastLast
Results 7,571 to 7,580 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

I've just watched a bit of the BMX cycling at the Olympics, with those dinky little bikes. Having the saddle so low down made me wonder what on earth that was all about so, in my ever present quest for knowledge, I had a quick look online. The first thing I found was this:

https://pedallers.com/why-are-bmx-seats-so-low
    "If the seat was higher, the rider would end up hurting the perennial area or genitals which can be extremely painful."

So, now I know that hurting ones genitals can be extremely painful. Isn't the internet a mine of previously unknown information!

This Russian Olympic Committee team seems a bit of a joke to me.

I thought it was set up after Russia was banned by the IOC for not getting a grip on its state sponsored doping and to allow the few Russian born "clean" athletes to compete.

It seems that they have a full contingent of athletes and are doing very nicely thankyou, currently 4th in the medal table.

And all the commentators refer to them as Russian athletes anyway!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    This Russian Olympic Committee team seems a bit of a joke to me.

When didn't the C in IOC stand for corruption?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I read somewhere that they had to be referred to as the ROC with no mention of Russia.

On 19 February 2021, it was announced that Russia would compete in Tokyo under the acronym "ROC" although the full name of the committee itself could not be used to refer to the delegation.
    Last edited by bigfella; 31-07-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Today's ride for me. 38 miles via Meerbrook, Hartington and Longnor. 3500 feet of ascent - I was aiming for longer and flatter today, but it's hard to completely avoid hill round here. Not many others out. I suspect the keen cyclists were out this morning in the rain. I'm definitely a fair weather cyclist - certainly when I'm on the road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    it's hard to completely avoid hill round here.
    Boy, how much I envy you. It's extremely difficult where I live to do hills. And impossible to climb more than 60m in a single hill.������⛰️

On Thursday I did a 30 miles (2400 feet) pootle on the ADVenture bike - low milage because I wanted to take in two bridleways including the one from Bardon Moor cattle grid to Bolton Abbey - around 2 1/2 miles. It was drizzling and nobody was about and I went slightly off-route. I realised I had diverted from the one true path of righteousness but then had to choose between riding back up hill and getting back on the right line or continuing down a farm track to the main road - and it was a pretty miserable day, so hey!

Today my son did the Tom Pidcock sportive: 116 miles taking in a lot of the classic Yorkshire climbs. So to display father-son empathy and all, and being a little pigheaded, I rerode Thursday's route but taking a bit more notice of where I should point my front wheel - it wasn't raining - and I got it right. Of course doing the right route didn't really matter - a ride is a ride - but it mattered to me.

Perhaps I am just proud?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-08-2021 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Very, very, very nearly crashed the fancy bike this afternoon. First sprint of a HIIT session and I'm out of the saddle applying maximum torque, on the big chainring and the smallest sprocket (13t), when a bump in the road must have bounced the chain off.

Very, very scary, falling forward and belting my Cinelli 65 handlebars with my left knee. The sudden large-scale weight transfer, and big blow to the handlebars, caused the rear wheel to lift and the bike to turn right sharply at a GPS verified speed of 22.3mph.

I don't know how I didn't go over the handlebars, which is the normal outcome in cases like this, or crash the bike due to over-compensation. Someone, somewhere obviously likes me ..

Just to show what normally happens in cases like this, below is a clip of the late, great, Laurent Fignon having a similar incident in the 1982 Blois-Chaville race, which he was leading at the time. Note to Graham: this is the moment I stopped buying Campagnolo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeNU2HM6iOY
    I compliment you on your video research.

I liked Fignon.

Although I'd have preferred a film of Cavendish (falling on his face).
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 03-08-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Luckily Fignon was wearing a bandana... could have been serious otherwise

Road ride to include a new section, met by "Road Closed" sign - ignored that obviously. It wasn't closed, just falling to pieces and not very car friendly (and steep).
    Totalled 54k with 1300m - plenty for me today. Stopped bike for a mole waddling across the road, had a chat to very friendly Mole.