Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Waltz and TWA

Beautiful morning in Keswick.... think it’s going to be a warm race...!

Looks great! Unfortunately I'm in Coniston waiting for the RAC, flat tyre in hire car which won't seal, and no spare. Looks very unlikely I'll get to the start... Which might be nature's way of telling me the foot injury wasn't ready to run on yet, sometimes pig-headed people need some sort of intervention!

Sorry to hear that Bob, I hope you did make it though....

What a fantastic day. As expected it was baking, thermometer in the car said 26c after the race.

After doing 78 miles in training this week I wasn’t sure how I would fare today, but it went surprisingly well. Seemed to pace it well, was in 52nd at Newlands Hause, and a strong climb to Snockrigg and Robinson saw me pick up at least another 10 places... the wheels did fall off on he final climb to Catbells... and from there I lost about 7mins on “Mrs GeoffB”..... finished 42nd in 4hrs08.

Seemed to cope reasonably well with the temperature and sun. Once again descending needs work... generally my technique is improving massively, but on the Whiteless Pike descent I was shockingly slow, and the poorness of that section was only matched by an equally abysmal descent off Dale Head...

Hello Daz Tindersticks, good to see you as always, Bill FellUpFellDown, and nice to meet Wheezing Donkey and GeoffB today... hope you all enjoyed it as much as myself....

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

What a fantastic day. As expected it was baking, thermometer in the car said 26c after the race.

After doing 78 miles in training this week I wasn’t sure how I would fare today, but it went surprisingly well. Seemed to pace it well, was in 52nd at Newlands Hause, and a strong climb to Snockrigg and Robinson saw me pick up at least another 10 places... the wheels did fall off on he final climb to Catbells... and from there I lost about 7mins on “Mrs GeoffB”..... finished 42nd in 4hrs08.

Seemed to cope reasonably well with the temperature and sun. Once again descending needs work... generally my technique is improving massively, but on the Whiteless Pike descent I was shockingly slow, and the poorness of that section was only matched by an equally abysmal descent off Dale Head...

Hello Daz Tindersticks, good to see you as always, Bill FellUpFellDown, and nice to meet Wheezing Donkey and GeoffB today... hope you all enjoyed it as much as myself....
    Well run Pete, see you soon pal.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

Good to meet you too, Pete. Sue had a tremendous second half of the race and finished really strongly. Nicky was first woman by a country mile, then 2nd, 3rd and 4th arrived at Cat Bells within seconds of each other. Sue put in a fantastic sprint finish to take 2nd place.

Yes... she came out of nowhere...!

I had spent most of the race chasing the lady who I assume finished 3rd (Lonsdale), but I noticed Sue gaining on me somewhere around Hindscarth… I stopped for a drink and a dip at the stream coming out of Dale Head Tarn, and in that time, Sue had flew a good way up High Spy... I did actually pull it all back and was back racing the two of them over Maiden Moor, but my aforementioned collapse on Catbells put me out of the race for "2nd lady"...!

Hi Travs,I was 3rd (Macc not Lonsdale) and yes when I heard '2nd lady, 3rd lady, go Sue!' at Catbells I realised I had a fight on my hands. She had a fantastic sprint finish, well done Sue.
    I'm not sure I'd recognise you Travs (especially if you were behind most of the way) ... were you the Pennine chap?
    Just before Sue overtook me, I'd briefly stopped to help a Pennine runner who was clearly suffering, and I gave him my last 2 shot blocks and got him to sit down, while a walker magically appeared with water.
    I'm a bit ashamed tbh that I asked the walker if he was OK to stay with the runner, as I knew I was 2nd at that point and wanted to keep my place. I should have spent a bit longer with him or at least taken his name and number to alert the marshals. Selfish reasons. Apologies, Pennine chap.

Hi bolygill….. I don't recall seeing you either... the lady I was swapping places was definitely Lonsdale, I believe she finished 4th then...

I was Coventry Godiva.... red and yellow vest...

I do recall the guy who was suffering though... as I climbed Catbells I was approached by a walker who informed me that the Pennine guy up ahead was staggering about, dehydrated etc, and I should keep an eye out... unfortunately I had also just spent a brief spell bent double, rather dizzy and struggling to keep upright, so I wasn't much help... I just nodded my head and the walker left me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by bollygill View Post
    Hi Travs,I was 3rd (Macc not Lonsdale) and yes when I heard '2nd lady, 3rd lady, go Sue!' at Catbells I realised I had a fight on my hands. She had a fantastic sprint finish, well done Sue.
    I'm not sure I'd recognise you Travs (especially if you were behind most of the way) ... were you the Pennine chap?
    Just before Sue overtook me, I'd briefly stopped to help a Pennine runner who was clearly suffering, and I gave him my last 2 shot blocks and got him to sit down, while a walker magically appeared with water.
    I'm a bit ashamed tbh that I asked the walker if he was OK to stay with the runner, as I knew I was 2nd at that point and wanted to keep my place. I should have spent a bit longer with him or at least taken his name and number to alert the marshals. Selfish reasons. Apologies, Pennine chap.
    Oh, sorry Gill! Charmian had shouted "2nd lady", then Sue appeared, so I (rather excitedly) shouted "3rd woman, go Sue!". Sue then pointed out that the Lonsdale woman was immediately behind her.

However, are you sure it was a Pennine chap? We're Pennine, and I can't think of who could have been just behind you. Anyway, that close to the end of a race with literally dozens of walkers around, you were perfectly within your rights to leave the runner with a helpful walker. But thanks.

Actually he may not have been Pennine, I think it may have been Harrogate Harriers...

I reckon it was someone on the Anniversary Waltz race rather than the TWA...

On that subject, it really was a novelty to hit Robinson and then find myself in the back end of another race!