Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Welsh 3000's

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    If Aran Fawddwy was just 30 feet higher, it would make doing the Welsh 3000's in a day so much more fun.
    I would have thought that you would have been more a 14 Peaks man AK
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

If Peris gets cancelled, an attempt at this might be back on the cards. I'd personally prefer to race Peris, but this wouldn't be a bad day out as a substitute!

What date is Peris? Looking for something to motivate me to get off my bike.
    Thinking of going for the 3000s again probably next couple of weeks (before back to school). Probably as a 1 day circular epic from Ogwen starting with Tryfan and Glyders, Snowdon3, back to Elidir and Y Aran then onto Carneddau with a return to Ogwen. Long day, but fits around family better...

Peris is scheduled for saturday 26th september... however the latest inside info i have is that it is still very much "in discussion".

There is a WFRA race going on in north Wales this weekend (Llangollen) and perhaps more crucial, another in early september on the northern Snowdonia/Carneddau (Gladstone 9)..... i suspect the chances of Peris going ahead will be dependent on these events passing off successfully.... although being the Glyders/Snowdon and obviously a sensitive area, i'm somewhat sceptical that it will go ahead this year...

As for the 3000's... i'd be setting a very ambitious and "fag-packet" target of 8hrs.

Peris has been cancelled

Although it looks like they are going to set up both the full and half routes as a MapRun event, which can be ran at any time during that weekend.

So if it's good weather i think the 3000's will be on for me. However, having never been on Crib Goch, if the weather is looking dicey in any way, then i'll do the Peris MapRun instead...

I’m possibly looking at that weekend now; arrived at my in-laws in Mid-Wales with vague plans to go up Monday. Running and camping kit in the roof box; keys to roof box in Derby!
    Luckily my bike and kit were in the car!

This is not exactly a Welsh 3000 post but it is related (in a way).

Is anyone familiar with the status of the three footpaths that go up to the north and north east from the A 4086 road near and to the south of Nant Peris? They're marked as public rights of way footpaths on the OS map.

Here's the reason I'm asking. In early March I stayed in LLanberis so I could do a short walk but with 2000 metres or more of climb, as part of training for a race in early April. I'd decided to stay reasonably local to Llanberis and leave my car there. By sticking to footpaths the plan was to walk up and down different paths around Elidir Fawr, Foel-goch, Y Garn and Glyder Fawr, either staying on the Llanberis side or going down to Ogwen reservoir and back up. As it turned out I had a bit of trouble with the paths, despite some help from a couple of locals who lived or farmed adjacent to the paths. One guy who initiated a chat said there wasn't a way up from Nant Peris and directed me through the quarry. I started off that way then thought 'sod this' and went back. There were a couple of blown-over roadwork-type signs low down which said the footpath was closed, but I assumed they weren't legit and carried on. I got up to Elidir Fawr OK, on the path by Cwm Dudodyn (although on the ground the path was non-existent and the going wasn't as easy as I'd hoped), but had to climb one locked gate (at about GR 612599, if I recall correctly). The path I came down on was more of a problem. I'd had a quick look at the Nant Peris end of the path the evening before and, despite a bit of guidance from a woman near the farm, I'd struggled to find the proper route through the gates and walls. Coming down the route of the path I came across a new-looking barbed wire fence perpendicular to the route which, despite going quite a way both East and West, didn't have a way through. I eventually ripped a piece out of the backside of my waterproof trousers climbing over it. That, again IIRC, was nearby Cwm Gafr, at about GR 618596.

I'm thinking I might do something similar in mid September but would prefer to avoid having to climb over any more barbed wire fences (although I'm not averse to it, if necessary). Does anyone know if there are any problems with the status of the footpaths in that area, or with local landowners and farmers being a bit obstructive? (I think I read a few months ago that some of the Llanberis locals were getting a bit put out with the number of newly-organised events taking place in the area. That was before Covid-19 so I can imagine they might be even more discontented now.)

Hoping that i'll be doing this next saturday. It's all planned... just need to hope the weather is kind enough, and also there are no dramatic Covid announcements which may bugger it up!

Have made the decision to start at PyP and Crib Goch first, descending off Snowdon via the Clogwyn Station descent. From Tryfan will retrace my steps south back to the col and down to Ogwen from there.

Whilst i very much appreciate all of the advice and suggestions given in the last couple of pages, i think we all should be comfortable enough to take the route we feel most happy with, which is why i am going for the above options.

My intention is to take the slightly longer descent off the final top, all the way down to Llanfairfechan.

I'm not a great one for peak-to-peak schedules, but my very much fag-packet schedule is for 8hrs, based on 1.5hrs Snowdon, 3.5hrs Glyders, 3hrs Carneddau.

Well today ultimately ended in failure, with an abandonment at Ogwen.

Took a steady hour up from PyP to Crib Goch summit, then pressed the stopwatch. Crib Goch was intimidating rather than outright dangerous in those conditions (dry, with a freezing wind), and I descended some gullies to avoid the pinnacles. Made a bit of a hash getting up onto Crib Y Drysgl and again ended up having to up-climb back onto the ridge on some rocks that I was somewhat uncomfortable being on.

Still, onto Snowdon and nailed the descent off Clogwyn Station down to Nant Peris. Reached the Vanyol Arms in 1hr33.

Was on Elidr Fawr 2hrs30. All going well and on the familiar Peris route. However on the upper part of the Glyder climb I began to feel incredibly sluggish... Perhaps just a bad patch, perhaps not enough fuel, perhaps the cold (wind chill was -6)..... Having read enough about hypothermia I wasn't taking any chances, stopped to down all my food and water, and put on an extra top. This perked me up a little but didn't bring much life back into the legs.

Heading down into Bristly Gully I realised my 5hrs at Ogwen schedule was slipping, but perhaps I could pull it back over the Carneddau. But by the time I was on Tryfan I realised I was some 35mins down on schedule. With most of the technical stuff all done I was tempted to continue, but any further mishaps on the Carneddau and I'd be slipping into the possibility of getting off Foel Fras in the dark, in fellrunning gear, in very cold temperatures, and I made the sorry decision to call it quits at Ogwen.

Was still a lovely day out. 16.5 miles 9000ft. Whilst I hide behind the "safety first" decision to abandon, in truth I sadly haven't done any brutal long fell races this year and it was noticeable. I feel with a season of Peris's, Ennerdale and Buttermere's being me, I'd have bowled through it a lot more comfortably.
    Last edited by Travs; 26-09-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Well today ultimately ended in failure, with an abandonment at Ogwen.

Took a steady hour up from PyP to Crib Goch summit, then pressed the stopwatch. Crib Goch was intimidating rather than outright dangerous in those conditions (dry, with a freezing wind), and I descended some gullies to avoid the pinnacles. Made a bit of a hash getting up onto Crib Y Drysgl and again ended up having to up-climb back onto the ridge on some rocks that I was somewhat uncomfortable being on.

Still, onto Snowdon and nailed the descent off Clogwyn Station down to Nant Peris. Reached the Vanyol Arms in 1hr33.

Was on Elidr Fawr 2hrs30. All going well and on the familiar Peris route. However on the upper part of the Glyder climb I began to feel incredibly sluggish... Perhaps just a bad patch, perhaps not enough fuel, perhaps the cold (wind chill was -6)..... Having read enough about hypothermia I wasn't taking any chances, stopped to down all my food and water, and put on an extra top. This perked me up a little but didn't bring much life back into the legs.

Heading down into Bristly Gully I realised my 5hrs at Ogwen schedule was slipping, but perhaps I could pull it back over the Carneddau. But by the time I was on Tryfan I realised I was some 35mins down on schedule. With most of the technical stuff all done I was tempted to continue, but any further mishaps on the Carneddau and I'd be slipping into the possibility of getting off Foel Fras in the dark, in fellrunning gear, in very cold temperatures, and I made the sorry decision to call it quits at Ogwen.

Was still a lovely day out. 16.5 miles 9000ft. Whilst I hide behind the "safety first" decision to abandon, in truth I sadly haven't done any brutal long fell races this year and it was noticeable. I feel with a season of Peris's, Ennerdale and Buttermere's being me, I'd have bowled through it a lot more comfortably.
    No need to "hide behind" what was no doubt a sensible decision Travs.

It was bloody cold out today and, apart from Pen yr Oleu Wen, you had done all the technical bits but once on the Carneddau there would be no shelter from that biting northerly.

You still had a cracking day by the sounds of it.

Well done and get some Mws Piws down you!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog