Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calder Valley area

Calder Valley area

Im considering a move to the Calder Valley area and would appreciate anyones opinion (it seems like 50% of people on this forum live around there) on where is best to live down that way. Best for running and also for quick access to a train station and also to the A58 for commuting down to Delph way. Im favouring Mytholmroyd as a happy medium between the 2 transport needs but mainly cos it looks possible to run on the moors everyday with non of that nasty road running! What are anyones opinions on Sowerby Bridge/Hebden Bridge/Mytholmroyd? Cheers.

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Re: Calder Valley area

Frodo, I live up the valley in Littleborough but go down to Calder Valley Fell Runners. Great variation in all directions for fell running and now it's gone dark in the evening, although perhaps not first choice in running a great choice of road runs with lots of climbing.

With regards

Gaz

Frodo,
    Both Mytholmroyd and Hebden Bridge are good for running straight out onto the moors in a variety of directions. (I think I read somewhere that the area around Hebden Bridge has the highest density of public footpaths per square mile in the country! )

Hebden Bridge has got more to it in terms of shops and liveliness, but its more expensive. There are lots of little villages and hamlets in the hills around too - but again tend to be more expensive.

The main train line between Manchester and Leeds stops at Hebden Bridge and usually Mytholmroyd stations (there are a few express trains than don't stop at MYT I believe.) I get the train from Hebden Bridge to work at Castleton every day. There's good bike lockers at HBD station.

I wouldn't recommend the centre of Sowerby Bridge, but again there are nice places around it.

Cheers, Bill

Frodo, I live in Leeds but do a lot of my fell running in the Calder Valley.Lots of nice hamlets and villages.
    As Bill says, best steer clear of Sowerby Bridge centre but everywhere else is fine

Don't forget Todmorden, a proper town with a centre (unlike Mytholmroyd), train station, good active fell club (which has winter bat runs to keep you off the roads) access to even more moors and running than further down the valley plus closer to Rossendale and Pendle, for even more races whilst still only 10 minutes extra to Haworth for the Woodhead events. Variety of accommodation and a bit more affordable than HB. Home to Singletrack mountain bike magazine if you want to get out on the bridleways of which a there ae many.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Im considering a move to the Calder Valley area and would appreciate anyones opinion (it seems like 50% of people on this forum live around there) on where is best to live down that way. Best for running and also for quick access to a train station and also to the A58 for commuting down to Delph way. Im favouring Mytholmroyd as a happy medium between the 2 transport needs but mainly cos it looks possible to run on the moors everyday with non of that nasty road running! What are anyones opinions on Sowerby Bridge/Hebden Bridge/Mytholmroyd? Cheers.
    3 Months ago we did exactly what you are planning and moved from Manchester to Mytholmroyd (although I grew up in Rossendale). Mytholmroyd is perfect as its up and coming, near to Hebden Bridge yet a lot cheaper. I think the houses are nicer too as they're not quite as urban. For the trains it is perfect. We've no regrets, it is an amazing part of the world to live and run. When I’m not on the fells, I’m on the canal and even for road runs, the back lanes beat anywhere I’ve been before. I'd consider around the cragg vale/scout road end of Mytholmroyd.

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    I think I read somewhere that the area around Hebden Bridge has the highest density of public footpaths per square mile in the country!
    I read that too - it was a square mile centred on Old Town.

As for moving to Calder Valley, it really is a fantastic area with 'best of both worlds' appeal, being close to wild, rough terrain and city amenities too.

When looking at Estate Agents details, don't necessarily go for places in the well-known towns, as there are loads of obscure hamlets and odd houses tucked away. These aren't always very far off the beaten track.

In general, you get more feeling of the open spaces as you climb out of the valley bottom, though prices often rise correspondingly. You also have less ascent to face when you are overcome by the desire to scale the nearest hill....
    Aspect is important since some parts of the valley and its tributaries are so deep and steep-sided that some properties don't get much direct sunlight, but other places nearby might be wonderful.

Thanks for all the responses. Quick question: does anyone know what the traffic is like in the morning heading down the A646 out of the valleys to get on the A58 and go south???

Hi Frodo
    Think the A646 may be a bit grim?!
    Yes, as was said earlier, South side of steep valleys don't get any sun from about Oct/Nov to Feb, also in foot a vallys.
    Also I'm not sure about living near to a river nowadays, even if there are flood schemes.
    Good pubs in valley, plently of bridalways and footpaths as was said earlier.
    What a winner, you can't lose!
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Thanks for all the ideas, things seem to be falling into place a bit now. Clive, you mentioned living near a river perhaps not being a great idea, were there any problems this summer with all the excessive rainfall?? Most of the places we have found seem to be situated next to rivers!