Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 10/11 May - Additional Pacers

Re: 10/11 May - Additional Pac

Great write up Andy, knackered just reading it. Well Done :thumbup:
    Hills and Guinness!

Congratulations on completing your round Andy! Brilliant effort in really difficult conditions.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Well doner Andy - it was a huge privilage to have been part of what was obviously by fay the easy first leg. Relaxed chatting you you, Craig and Ian was not going to be typical of the next 22 hrs! It appeared to be improving on Saturday over the north eastern fells, but it clearly wasn't further west. Massive congratulations for completing your round in that way you did. It's the adventure that counts, not the stop watch. Hope to meet up again sometime soon. Dave

Just read your write up Andy, wow what an epic day out, a really big weldone to you and your team for getting round on a day like that it's inspirational.

Well done Andy. It's a bloody long way isn't it? Keeping going when you're not going to make it sub 24 is tough and requires a real determination. Hats off to you. Hope you heal soon

Andy
    I was thinking of you all along your round. If I was very happy for you, seeing the good weather when you started, I never stop of saying all the saturday "waaaaouh it's not possible, the weather Andy has to meet on the tops..!!!" I'm very impressed to see that you have finished in such conditions, having also met a "deluge" a day before during the recce of leg 4 I did with Simon....
    Congratulations Andy, and Respect Man !
    didier.

Andy, I remember IainRs comments about comparing times on Winter Paddy Buckleys, as they are meaningless because the weather can have such a big effect. The same is true for spring BGRs! I have done all five legs by being involved on two BGRs with excellent conditions on both, so I know I have a false impression about the amount of work involved. It sounds like you earned it the hardest way possible.

A comment about start times, on AndyG's round last year we found it hard waiting until midnight to start, so I was drifting more towards a 7pm start. Having read your comments I think I am now firmly back in the midnight camp. I would have assumed the navigation difficulties would be over by White Side, how more wrong could I have been
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 13-05-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Fantastic stuff Andy. Having come a cropper on the fricking Helvellyn ridgeline twice in awful conditions after dark last year, I can really empathise with you. Fantastic that you saw it all through though; thats got to pay dividends next time. We were out on Friday attempting leg 3 and 4 back to back and hit horrendous (200 mph at least ) sideways stair rods of rain on Bowfell and decided to 'change plans' at Esk Hause, dropping down to Styhead and over Aaron Slack and Green Gable to get to our second car at Honister. Drowned bedraggled rats when we got to the cafe! We then did the Helvellyn ridge line on Saturday and your leg 1 (our intended leg 5) yesterday and all I can say about the weather yesterday is that it wasn't as bad at Saturday's!

Well done Andy.

Enjoyed following your tracker over weekend and was pleased to see you complete the round.
    Also just read your reports above....great stuff, been lost many times on leg 2 and I also laughed when you mentioned Grey Knotts summit!! On my round a fews years back I was confident of both Brandreth and Grey Knotts summits but my friends disagreed and made me go to 3 cairns on both hills!!!!
    Auld Ken

The guys on Broad Stand deserve medals too. Massive act of selflessness to drive from York to stand in the rain, hail and wind for two hours longer than required!! Definitely no need for guilt on their parts!! Great write up, great effort ALL round!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com