Page 678 of 846 FirstFirst ... 178578628668676677678679680688728778 ... LastLast
Results 6,771 to 6,780 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

A 37 miles (4000 feet) pootle yesterday through Keighley, Haworth and Oxenhope up the A6033 on the Oxenhope Moor climb (5/10 in Simon Warren’s book) to the point at the top of the hill where the road is blocked for repair, “including cyclists and pedestrians” , no less! - and back through Cullingworth and the sharp little climb up Park Road out of Bingley towards Ilkley Moor.

A pity about the road closure because from there it is a delightful 5 miles downhill to Hebden Bridge. Apparently, the road is one of the Dept of Transport’s most dangerous (narrow, winding, steep, dark) and the road will be closed for 5 months to sort it out.

I think this was the road across which the famous Blue Pig Hill Race (held in January 1988 and 1989) crossed but after attracting over 500 runners in 1989 the police intervened over the “limited” parking arrangements (see previous paragraph) and Dave Yates of Calder Valley FR never organised the event again.

Billy Bland was 5th in 1989 so clearly a race worth a long drive!

(The “Blue Pig” is the pub at Midgehole down the valley side from the A6033).
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 17-10-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Strictly not a pub. Midgehole Working Men's Club

One of the favourite checkpoints to marshall at on the Hobble

Cheap beer, low level, easy to get to

Wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

(The “Blue Pig” is the pub at Midgehole down the valley side from the A6033).

Many happy afternoons marshalling at The Blue Pig

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Into South Derbyshire, but staying on the South side of the Trent.

Included a walk to the caves known as Anchor Church; the walk turned out to be more of an adventure than I had expected. The footpath along the river bank appeared to be subject to an ownership dispute between the land and the water: a mud bath. The alternative, which I took, was a well-defined but narrow and slippery trod above a precipice; not great in cycling shoes.

Route: out via Breedon and Melbourne, back via Staunton Harold and Whitwick.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A trip out to Kinver and Enville today. A murky but thankfully dry day, cool and requiring winter gear fo the first time this season. The legs felt empty on the first couple of climbs so avoided any of the big climbs I would normally aim for but around these parts the little ones soon add up - 1200m in my 72km to be exact.

A cool but still day for todays bike ride of 35.28 miles and 3,297 feet in 2hr 28min. A bit of a zig zaggy route which included Taddington, Earl Sterndale, up to the Buxton Raceway at Axe Edge which had banger racing on and hundred's of spectators watching from an embankment, but the "grandstand" was empty!
    Back down to Glutton Bridge and Earl Sterndale again before Flagg, Monyash and home.

I didn't set off until 2pm as I had given my bike a good clean yesterday so waited for the roads to dry, which they did. However, due to the later start, I got caught on two occasions by cows crossing roads for afternoon milking and needless to say my bike is filthy. I did have a couple of rests and nice chats to farmers whilst waiting. I hosed off the worst tonight and a bike cleaning session booked in for tomorrow.

Strangely I only saw 2 other cyclists on what was a decent day but perhaps many were on cowshit alert!

Last week I bought a pair of cycling gloves from Aldi for £4.99 and wore them with a thin pair of Ron Hill gloves underneath and my hands were kept lovely and warm. They have a couple of gel pads and a little bulky but did the job on a cold day. I would recommend them but have not used them in the wet yet.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Theoretically a nostalgic pootle out to Goose Eye (near Oakworth, near Keighley) to do the Tour of Yorkshire short but sharp Game Scar Lane - which only rates 4/10 in Simon Warren's book, presumably because although it has some 20-25% it is quite short at only a quarter of a mile.

What was a shock was to discover a new steep climb out of Sutton-in-Craven on my meandering way that seemed to go on forever - illustrated on the OS map as a "Viewpoint" at the top! But what goes up must come down and reflecting that since allegedly there are no agnostics in fox holes, at 40 mph with the bike bouncing around I did ponder if the same applies to cyclists descending narrow winding Yorkshire country roads.

Wharfedale Harriers organise an evening one mile uphill road race - "Murder Mile" - out of Silsden which climbs around 500 feet in the mile. The road only serves a farm or two so is hardly used (otherwise it could not be used for a race with 200 runners including children). Cycling up it this afternoon on my way home I saw four police cars (and allegedly two unmarked cars had left the scene), a vehicle recovery van and a certain unprecedented - business. Nearer the top of the climb the cause became apparent with a car in a deep ditch having skidded off the road and scoured twenty yards of dry stone wall before stopping and two young (too young to have any license) and very sheepish teenagers being interviewed by the police. I was told by a passer-by the car had been stolen shortly before its brief adventure.

Luckily I have Eurosport so I can enjoy 30 miles and 3500 feet, all this excitement and keep up with the Giro and the Tour of Flanders
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 18-10-2020 at 10:45 PM.

What was a shock was to discover a new steep climb out of Sutton-in-Craven on my meandering way that seemed to go on forever - illustrated on the OS map as a "Viewpoint" at the top!
    The Ellers I presume or possibly West Lane? both are quite steep as I recall.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    The Ellers I presume or possibly West Lane? both are quite steep as I recall.
    I now know it was West Lane. And thanks to Veloviewer (1.7km) I now know why I was wondering when it would level out!

Length 1.7 km
    Average gradient: 9.5%
    Maximum gradient: 20.1%
    Elevation gain: 160 m
    Elevation change: 159 m
    Min elevation: 127 m
    Max elevation: 286 m
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 19-10-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I now know it was West Lane. And thanks to Veloviewer (1.7km) I now know why I was wondering when it would level out!

Length 1.7 km
    Average gradient: 9.5%
    Maximum gradient: 20.1%
    Elevation gain: 160 m
    Elevation change: 159 m
    Min elevation: 127 m
    Max elevation: 286 m
    Looks like you missed out there: I've just had a look at the OS map, and the Ellers road has 225m of climbing, including a double chevron on the lower section.

Wharfedale Harriers organise an evening one mile uphill road race - "Murder Mile" - out of Silsden which climbs around 500 feet in the mile. The road only serves a farm or two so is hardly used (otherwise it could not be used for a race with 200 runners including children).
    Some years ago when I was doing my research on runners' speed variation with gradient, I had some correspondence with the organiser of the Silsden Murder Mile. They were quoting some grossly inflated figure for the amount of climbing, and I persuaded them to change to what was apparent from the OS map, which is just over 150 metres.

But I haven't had any success with the Tryfan Downhill Dash. The organisers still insist that the finish is 69 metres below the surface of Llyn Ogwen.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 19-10-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges