Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Unwritten Fell Running Rules

Re: Unwritten Fell Running Rul

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    F*** off then.

Just kidding

I agree actually, lot's of negativity at times. I blame the tories

LOL - good summary of the way (I hope) a lot of the seemingly aggressive tone in some posts are either well-meant humour or equally well-meant advice. I have not had my first rant on here yet but it seems like a rite of passage...

Quote Originally Posted by Howgill Tarrier View Post
    I have not had my first rant on here yet but it seems like a rite of passage...
    I, amoung many other I guess, have put things in writing here and regreted it afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I, amoung many other I guess, have put things in writing here and regreted it afterwards
    Very easy to post something in the heat of the moment and regret it afterwards.
    The maxim that we should all follow is not to post anything that we wouldn't be prepared to say in a face-to-face situation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
    Very easy to post something in the heat of the moment and regret it afterwards.
    The maxim that we should all follow is not to post anything that we wouldn't be prepared to say in a face-to-face situation.
    Agree 100% Also, if your told to carry specific kit by the organiser then carry it, whether you agree with it or not. They do a lot of hard graft to put on a race for us so respect there judgement/rules. If you post Summat in the heat of the moment and regret it, apologise, everyone makes mistakes, job's reet then.
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by gafrymynydd View Post
    Hahahahaha!!!! thats the funniest thing I've heard for a while!! :w00t:
    As for a fence of 4ft high...................would have no hesitation of clearing it........hand on top of the post and hop........job done :-)
    & weaken the fence post. Obviously you have not heard of the Countryside Code. :-(
    Only enter & leave a field by the gate where possible.

Regards,

Max.
    "Do as little as needed not as much as possible" - Henk Kraayenhof.

Never be afraid to take a profit.

Unwritten rule of fell running

#Not posting in unwritten rules of fell running

....DOH
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    To be honest, I think climbing a gate when there's a stile next to it is poor form fullstop. Regardless of whether it's a race or whether you're just out for a walk.
    Cheers Dom! You've cleared this up for me! Its OK to climb a gate (...at the hinge!) if its on its own and its on a footpath, permitable to do so etc etc. But if next to a stile its unacceptable. Therefore its also unacceptable in a race/trail race etc. I won't be doin this again! Its nice when you're given a logical explaination.

A small point, just to clarify on the kit thing!! My post was a simple confession of my own sorry weakness, I assumed it would be recognised in the way I wrote it, that I saw it as an embarrassing episode of foolhardiness. It was possibly written with a slightly too flippant edge. I posted it more in backing for Sam Ayres than enything else. I realised the error of my ways.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Cheers Dom! You've cleared this up for me! Its OK to climb a gate (...at the hinge!) if its on its own and its on a footpath, permitable to do so etc etc. But if next to a stile its unacceptable. Therefore its also unacceptable in a race/trail race etc. I won't be doin this again! Its nice when you're given a logical explaination.

A small point, just to clarify on the kit thing!! My post was a simple confession of my own sorry weakness, I assumed it would be recognised in the way I wrote it, that I saw it as an embarrassing episode of foolhardiness. It was possibly written with a slightly too flippant edge. I posted it more in backing for Sam Ayres than enything else. I realised the error of my ways.
    One thing comes to mind in this thread, and I do think that those you run without the min' kit are cheating and should be disqualified if they win any thing but,-

Let him without sin cast the first stone.

Life is to short to worry about what has been and what could have been and to bear grudges, learn and move on in all thing, which I think you have done.

PS I too ran my first hill race without all the kit, it was because I didn't know any better, now I carry it all and more even on short training runs, I think of it as a weight vest to help me train harder.

ATB

Tahr

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

For the record, it is definitely not acceptable to barge past half the field in the first 100m when starting from the back in the first 100m, physically knocking into fellow runners like a nutter on speed, only to grind to a slow walk within 20m when confronted by the first hill. Even if you don't pull up to a walk this is not acceptable behaviour.

It always makes me laugh when I get a shout of "coming through !" when someone is trying to get past. I always feel that they are hoping I'm going to make way for them. If you're "coming through" then crack on & do it, I don't need a commentary.