Page 166 of 300 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 2998

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I think the Grisedale Horseshoe might be a little bit too much, with Borrowdale the day before.
    The Grisedale Horseshoe is a little bit too much, even without anything much the day before, from what I remember of the one occasion when I did the race.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    8.87 miles, 4,105 feet, 3 hours 53 minutes: ODG - The Band - Climber's Traverse - Bowfell - Crinkle Crags - Pike O'Blisco - Great Lakes descent - ODG. Sunshine and clouds, a strong unpleasantly cold wind at times. No rain - terrain dry, soft. Not many on the fells, but then some of the mountain weather forecasts were pretty dire. No parking problems at ODG, nor at NDG.

Master
    10 miles, 734 feet, 1 hour 44 minutes: To Dove Cottage and back via Under Loughrigg, the main road between Rydal and White Moss, and then the minor road over Baneriggs, so all on tarmac. Overcast, light rain for the first hour which then eased off, a very small patch of blue sky appeared as I finished. No wind, not cold, nowhere near as bad as the weather forecast predicted. Quite a few walkers at this low level, and two other runners.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    An unremarkable walk of just over 4 miles, and 574ft of ascent, walking public rights of way between Hanbury and the edge of Tutbury, (and spotting four different species of dragonfly), until I spotted this sign by the side of the public footpath

Kept me on my toes, and on the path
    So they still haven't cleared up the mess, more than 70 years after the Fauld explosion.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    10.68 miles, 2,108 feet, 2 hours 35 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Under Loughrigg - Rydal Water - Deerbolts Wood - Loughrigg top - down the Loughrigg-Silver How race route to the road - up the steps opposite Loughrigg Tarn - Loughrigg top - Miller Bridge - Rothay Bridge. Overcast, virtually constant light rain, no significant wind at this level, not cold. Terrain saturated and slippery. I saw four other runners; some walkers about, more than I expected given the forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No, and it doesn't appear as though they will. The official line is that there is still a significant amount of live high explosives buried there, which would be too expensive to remove. Quite how they know this, when the explosions caused a crater the size of a village (around 400m x 250m by over 30m deep), is beyond me. Effectively, it is treated as a war grave
    It's all a cover story. There are alien artifacts hidden there and they're trying to suppress the truth about lizard people extraterrestrials.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    11.12 miles, 2,305 feet, 2 hours 52 minutes: similar route to yesterday, with a few minor tweaks. Overcast, intermittent light showers, and a few brief spells of sunshine. No wind, not cold, terrain saturated and slippery. Some walkers about, and I saw three other runners.

Master
    A "gardening" walk.

After my Friday lunchtime run over Buck Hill and Beacon Hill, I could still feel the nettle rash 9 hours later when I went to bed. So today I went out armed with gardening gloves and secateurs, to wreak my dreadful revenge.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    8.72 miles, 2,875 feet, 3 hours 4 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Winterseeds - Grisedale Tarn - Cofa Pike - Fairfield - around Great Rigg and the 2 tops of Heron Pike - Alcock Tarn - Traveller's Rest. Overcast, cloud base about 2,500 feet initially though it rose later, light drizzle at times, a cold wind on top. Terrain wet and slippery. Very few high up, rather more lower down. Roads and car parks busy.

Master
    20.92 miles, 4,555 feet, 6 hours 1 minute: Ings to Ambleside via Kentmere - Nan Bield Pass - High Street - Ill Bell - Garburn Pass - Sallows - Sour Howes - Troutbeck - Robin Lane. Sunshine and clouds, warm, but not unpleasantly so, no wind or rain. Terrain anything from saturated to dry. Very few on the tops, lots lower down. The cafe at Ings was closed because of staffing problems - which is a shame as their scones are magnificent.