Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training for the superlongs

Training for the superlongs

Ok - I've left this a little left but figure there are still 3 months or so until the Lakeland classics begin so there is still a glimmer of hope. I am looking to see if anyone knows of a decent training schedule I can follow to help me get a bit of fitness ready for the superlongs.
    I have been running the classics for the last 5 years. I am a middle-packer with a personal best of Ennerdale being 4.42, Duddon 3.40.

I have done very little running for a couple of months and put on a stone in weight! I am looking to realistically get out for 3-4 times a week.

Any suggestions/tips/websites appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Training for the superlong

3.40's a damned good time round Duddon innit? top third / quarter of field, easily.

Duddon is end of May usually isn't it, so more than two months to get one's backside into gear. Reckon you'll be alreet there bobster!

cheers Zoot - you're right I do just need to get my backside into gear. In the past I've just bimbled about in training - a bit on the road, a bit on the fell - sometimes fast, sometimes slow. Does it help if training becomes a bit more scientific by doing hill reps, fartlek etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    cheers Zoot - you're right I do just need to get my backside into gear. In the past I've just bimbled about in training - a bit on the road, a bit on the fell - sometimes fast, sometimes slow. Does it help if training becomes a bit more scientific by doing hill reps, fartlek etc.?
    for what it's worth bobster - as I am a slower and less experienced runner than yourself - I do think things like hill reps and intervals help. I think they pay a good fitness dividend for the time they take up. (bang for your buck)

I'm not very scientific about it, I just try and mix it up, with one long run a week, a shorter one done at a much higher pace and then something like intervals or hill reps or a tempo run. I think even just psychologically, when you've forced yourself to really burst the lungs, right to the limit, it makes you feel strong.

I think if you're training for superlongs then it obviously makes sense to make the hill reps / intervals longer slower ones, as opposed to short sprinty ones. Like lugging yourself up and down Steel Fell or Yewbarrow or summat.

The only other thing I know is it's good to get the base fitness in the bag early in the season and then build the speed on top of it. So I'm going to try and get out for as many 20-mile-plus runs as I can in the next month or two.

I'm just looking at the Lakeland Classics. I've been down south and overseas for years and haven't run in the Lakes since Borrowdale in 1987.
    You've obviously got the background, so you should be fit by then.
    I'd go for a month of long, slow distance and then refine that fitness from mid April with a mix of hill-work and speed-work (or just use shorter races for the same purpose). I've been using LDWA challenge events for distance training, they're generally about 25 miles in hilly, rather than mountainous country.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 16-03-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    I've been using LDWA challenge events for distance training, they're about 25 miles in hilly, rather than mountainous country.
    And here's me thinking that LDWA's Lake, Ridge and Wainwright (23.5ml / 7300ft) was going to be on proper fells.
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Ooops, hadnt looked at that one. Bit of a clue in the name.
    Told you I've been away for a decade or two.

thanks for that. I guess I just need to mix it up a bit but also get a bit of mileage in the legs. Time to get cracking!

Quote Originally Posted by tinyman View Post
    And here's me thinking that LDWA's Lake, Ridge and Wainwright (23.5ml / 7300ft) was going to be on proper fells.
    No tinyman it avoids all the big ones
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    I have been running the classics for the last 5 years. I am a middle-packer with a personal best of Ennerdale being 4.42, Duddon 3.40.
    In the past I've just bimbled about in training
    I'd start bimbling about again if I was you
    Bill