Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Races listed

Races listed

On the index page of the FRA website...

Your views please?

Should we do the whole year?

Month at a time?

What about non members viewing?

Could save me £18 next year! - but I wouldn't receive that classic publication - The Fellrunner.

The next issue is an absolute corker!

apart from the £'s - I'll amend tomorrow - I'm just too tired!!

Re: Races listed

This is just an option - I haven't given it full consideration.
    You could list the 'summary' of races (as on p25 of the calendar) and make the 'full' details available for members only.

Not quite twice as much work for you, but not far off.

Thanks for your hard work Brett.

However... for me, and maybe others like me who get the printed calendar, the online calendar doesn't add much, and to be really useful for non-members it would need to list the full year to allow sufficient advance planning for long races at least.

I agree with Stan in that a summary list could actually be more useful, perhaps including distance / climb, start time, nearest town or some grid ref, link to race website.

I think the FRA may have to do something to make it worthwhile being a member, like introduce a non-member surcharge on race entry fees. After all, non-members get the benefit of our membership fees.

It would be awesome if the links in the listings actually worked as links.

My gut feeling is that the calendar shouldnt be freely available on the website. It may be just a case of "i've paid my money, so why should it be freely available?" but in some ways that seems fair.

Is there really a demand for this resource from fra members, or is it just a question of convenience?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    I agree with Stan in that a summary list could actually be more useful, perhaps including distance / climb, start time, nearest town or some grid ref, link to race website.
    Not really much of a summary then

I'm not a member yet and find most information out off the interweb. I do intend to join bit its getting round to it. If I were a member I wouldn;t want to see a surcharge on entries to non members as non members are the future members of fellrunning. If I had to pay extra as a non member I would never have got into fell running. Even a 50p surcharge would put me off (Yes I am a cheapscate)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ricepudding View Post
    Not really much of a summary then
    Ok include category, organiser's details and whether pre-entry is required. Should be plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

At the moment, for the trial, the simplest thing to do was to put the information on the website in exactly the same format as is used for the printed Calendar.

In the longer term, if it is decided to continue to display race information on the website, the database of race information could be modified to make it more straightforward to display selected subsets of the information on the website.

In addition links to race websites are obviously a possiblity but this would all take a significant amount of time and effort so the first thing to do is to decide whether to continue after the trial.

Please keep sending your views in about what you would like to see.

Margaret

The details of virtually every race are on a website somewhere anyway, so all that's happening is that it's being bought together in one place. A full year summary list with mileage and category info including additions after the calendar publication would be useful.

Interesting experiment and right that we should test the water. If we are to pull in new members or convert the 'haven't got around to it yet' mob, we do need to provide a carrot.
    I agree with the other views that suggest that a list of races (dates/grading) is a good idea in the public domain to advertise what is happening. But I think that full details as per calendar should only be available to members (login with your FRA number). The benefits of membership should be easily visible on the home page. Why not include 'tasters' from previous issues of the Fell Runner and a page showing the front covers (like in Q magazine)
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth