Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Latest Mag

Re: Latest Mag

Quote Originally Posted by denisephysio View Post
    Just to clear up a few points:
    1/ Make sure any stockings you are looking at meet the RAL medical standards - Scholl stockings don't meet these standards, but that doesn't mean they don't have some therapeutic benefits
    Stimulated by Denise's article, I rang Altimed, who make the Altiform made to measure compression stockings I wear. Their representative was very helpful. I will try to report what he said, just hope I'm not misrepresenting him. If in doubt, or for more info. ring Altimed on 01509-501720.

He explained that RAL-GZ 387 is the German standard for compression stockings. Altiform are made to the UK standard, technical specification no. 40, test: BS6612. Compression stockings come in a series of classes giving an increasing degree of compression. UK class I have no equivalent in the German system (these would I think be like flight socks, and in my opinion are not a lot of use). UK class II roughly = RAL-GZ class I. UK class III roughly = RAL-GZ class II. There are RAL-GZ classes III and IV which have no equivalent in the UK. However it would be possible to get a higher level of compression in the UK by doubling up stockings. IMO anything higher than class III would only be needed in case of severe medical problems, not for sport and recovery. I am not clear whether anything higher than class II would be helpful in sport - I have only worn class II. If anyone else were to ring Altimed, perhaps they could ask this question.

Sigvaris stockings, conforming to RAL-GZ, give a high degree of compression, but are thicker and heavier than UK stockings. This IMO might be a problem in Summer. I wear my UK class II stockings even in the heat of the south of France, but I'm not sure I'd want to wear anything thicker. More important, Sigvaris stockings are not available in the UK made to measure. To me, given that everyone is different, and even our right legs usually don't measure quite the same as our left, made to measure is the gold standard.

Altiform ready made socks are available over the counter for about £20 the pair. Made to measure they cost about £45. IMO this compares very favourably with the prices for Sigvaris.

NB the Altiform representative told me that Skins socks not only don't work, they are counter-productive as they don't compress the ankle, so the blood is being encouraged in THE WRONG DIRECTION! Altimed are supplying compression stockings for recovery to several of the UK Olympic teams. What the Olympians are getting is essentially what we can buy from Altimed.

Finally, he told me something quite new to me: one of the functions of compression garments is to suppress BOUNCE by holding the muscles to the bones. 30% of our available energy in running etc is lost in bounce!!! There is also increasing blood flow through the muscle and getting rid of lactates.

For a fascinating account of an experiment to demonstrate the value of compression garments see ZOOT. PS Zoot says the benefit from sports shop compression garments is about equivalent to the benefit from ordinary running tights.
    Last edited by Alexandra; 21-03-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    For a fascinating account of an experiment to demonstrate the value of compression garments see ZOOT. PS Zoot says the benefit from sports shop compression garments is about equivalent to the benefit from ordinary running tights.
    I have to confess I didn't manage to read all that post

I would have to agree to the above point in regard to my skins powersox. I followed the sizing on the pack and bought an S, tried them and found them to be a pretty sloppy fit so swapped them for an XS. They're still pretty light on compression if I'm honest (and I'm not that tiny, I'm 5'10" and weigh 11st). However I also bought some Skins shorts and they're much tighter and benefit me much more.

Re: Flightsocks. I've found these to be pretty good for a fiver. You couldn't run in them, but I use compression for recovery anyway so that's a non-issue

Master

It is stating the obvious but the makers of these goods are going to tend to say that their product works and their competitors' products don't. Some of them are far from cheap unless on prescription. "You get what you pay for" is, in my experience, false as often as it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    "You get what you pay for" is, in my experience, false as often as it is true.
    I totally agree; and there IS such a thing as a free lunch.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Master

Tried my new Sigvaris socks today - certainly tighter around the foot and ankle than higher up. Feel good on, both at rest and on a 6 mile hill rep session. Real test will be on/after a long run - roll on the weekend!

whenever i have tried compression socks i have found they send my toes numb, i have tried a few different sizes and brands and all did the same. not sure what that says about my circulation, i even have to lace my shoes not to tight as the same happens.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Finally, he told me something quite new to me: one of the functions of compression garments is to suppress BOUNCE by holding the muscles to the bones. 30% of our available energy in running etc is lost in bounce!!! There is also increasing blood flow through the muscle and getting rid of lactates.
    I'm sure there is a roll for these type of products and some people find them useful and I underline that I am no sport scientist.

If these can alleviate the loss of 30% of the energy, then the wearing of these implements would take quite a chunk off a marathon time and world records would be going all over - similarly all top athletes would be wearing them.

So any such gain must be quite marginal, and probably offset by the restriction of the compression anyway.

Finally, he told me something quite new to me: one of the functions of compression garments is to suppress BOUNCE by holding the muscles to the bones. 30% of our available energy in running etc is lost in bounce!!!
    I supsect that this is "new" to science as well.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Master

First longish run in my Sigvaris socks - 17 miles - would expect a bit of stiffness the next day - none! Cannot draw any conclusions from just a single run, but will certainly wear them on future long outings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    First longish run in my Sigvaris socks - 17 miles - would expect a bit of stiffness the next day - none! Cannot draw any conclusions from just a single run, but will certainly wear them on future long outings.
    Hi Mike,

Just wondered where you got your socks from and how you went about deciding which size was for you, as someone has said there are four sizes per shoe size, I think.

Thanks.