Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Doping row continues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    https://www.drugs.com/dosage/albuterol.html
    This link is for nebulizer doses for an asthma attack. I don't know if I'm doing the right math(as they say) but it appears to be 1000mgs.Froome allegedly had 2000mgs. Having had a nebulizer dose it left me shaking and dizzy, not a pleasant experience. The last thing I felt like doing was a 5 hour bike ride.

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    I don't know if I'm doing the right math(as they say) but it appears to be 1000mgs.Froome allegedly had 2000mgs. Having had a nebulizer dose it left me shaking and dizzy, not a pleasant experience. The last thing I felt like doing was a 5 hour bike ride.
    I totally agree, I only need my asthma medication when I have a sever cold, flu or chest infection so perhaps a course of a couple of weeks every 2 or 3 years. I have 2 x of my Ventalin (reliever) 2 x daily and 2 x of my flixatide (preventer) 2 x daily. that is 800mg of the reliever and 400mg of the preventer. = 1200mg. Now that is the least I would have when it's really bad I may have to take more. It is bloody scary when your airways are closing and can cause panic. However, if its as bad as I need just the 1200mg, there is no blooming way I'm doing any kind of strenuous exercise! It would actually be totally physically impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    I totally agree, I only need my asthma medication when I have a sever cold, flu or chest infection so perhaps a course of a couple of weeks every 2 or 3 years. I have 2 x of my Ventalin (reliever) 2 x daily and 2 x of my flixatide (preventer) 2 x daily. that is 800mg of the reliever and 400mg of the preventer. = 1200mg. Now that is the least I would have when it's really bad I may have to take more. It is bloody scary when your airways are closing and can cause panic. However, if its as bad as I need just the 1200mg, there is no blooming way I'm doing any kind of strenuous exercise! It would actually be totally physically impossible.
    It's colds and chest infections that set me off as well. The nurse said to have a max of 10 puffs of reliever during an attack. If that doesn't help call an ambulance.

Master
    Just found the old ‘money the root of all evil’ thread. Very interesting to read the views at the time. Even Noel was getting worked up.

I'm going to say i don't think he cheated. I think he was suffering some sort of medical problem which was handled badly by everyone involved. It was a case of pull out or push on with whatever inhaler doses were required. I heard Millar talk once about the pressure you're under in pro cycling, and how you just crumble and make shit decisions for which, in hindsight, there are no excuses. Froome has to serve a ban, but as an idiot rather than a drug cheat.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Super Moderator
    He’s a cheat. Obviously. Most of the peleton are. Obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    He’s a cheat. Obviously. Most of the peleton are. Obviously
    Yep, I'm just waiting for the 'it was my parasitic twin what hit that inhaler hard' craic

Super Moderator
    And the sprinters

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    And the sprinters
    I wonder if there is a PhD somewhere on the relationship between the financial rewards to be gained from particular sporting events and the prevalence of drug taking?

So millionaire sprinters are all at it but, say, the rewards for being a champion steeplechaser or triple jumper would not even cover the cost of the drugs - so why would anyone bother?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I wonder if there is a PhD somewhere on the relationship between the financial rewards to be gained from particular sporting events and the prevalence of drug taking?

So millionaire sprinters are all at it but, say, the rewards for being a champion steeplechaser or triple jumper would not even cover the cost of the drugs - so why would anyone bother?
    The need to win at all costs, plus the age old perception that everyone is at it so they want to level the playing field, the doping issue will never ever go away, especially in Cycling, unfortunately it has always been the way, it's only the advent of the internet, where an athlete can't fart without it being reported that has changed things, perhaps it's time for some of the quiet 'old guard' in the sport to hold their hands up and say 'look this is what we were up to' certainly some of the Cycling stars from the 80s/ early 90s must have been hitting the medicine cabinet hard all be it on a less industrial scale, I can imagine some uncomfortable silences and shuffling of papers in the commentary boxes when the latest doping row explodes, late 70s early 80s the only cycling news I ever saw was weekly from the comic (all black and white photos) or once a year when Dickie Davis introduced the annual half hour slot on the Paris Roubaix