Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dogs on Bowland

Re: Dogs on Bowland

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    re Forest of Bowland, check the Open Access website for restrictions
    http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk

Some areas appear to be dogs on leads between August and December.
    Other areas have a permanent ban.
    Many thanks for that.

Heres the exact link. It brings you to a list of PDF's and its the 3rd one down.
    http://www.openaccess.naturalengland...lc3NNYXAuanNw/

Might be of interest to Stolly and co. Certainly plenty of places to explore with the dog ON THE LEAD. Shame they havent included Parlick and Fair Snap

Thanks Toreador, saved me trying to put a link up! Basically under CRoW, access is for quiet recreation on foot, it does not cater for horses, bikes or dogs, where dogs are permitted, they must be on a (short) lead.
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Thanks Toreador, saved me trying to put a link up! Basically under CRoW, access is for quiet recreation on foot, it does not cater for horses, bikes or dogs, where dogs are permitted, they must be on a (short) lead.
    That's just for Bowland?

The rest dogs can be off the lead can't they? unless specifically not allowed to between certain dates?

This is the extract relating to dogs, absolutely as clear as mud! Can't remember seeing any change to the grouse moor ban that should have ended 31st October last year.

4. During the period beginning with 1st March and ending with 31st July in each
    year, section 2(1) does not entitle a person to be on any land if he takes, or allows to
    enter or remain, any dog which is not on a short lead.
    5. Whatever the time of year, section 2(1) does not entitled a person to be on
    any land if he takes, or allows to enter or remain, any dog which is not on a short
    lead and which is in the vicinity of livestock.
    6. In paragraphs 4 and 5, “short lead” means a lead of fixed length and of not
    more than two metres.

This is the extract relating to dogs, absolutely as clear as mud! Can't remember seeing any change to the grouse moor ban that should have ended 31st October last year.

4. During the period beginning with 1st March and ending with 31st July in each
    year, section 2(1) does not entitle a person to be on any land if he takes, or allows to
    enter or remain, any dog which is not on a short lead.
    5. Whatever the time of year, section 2(1) does not entitled a person to be on
    any land if he takes, or allows to enter or remain, any dog which is not on a short
    lead and which is in the vicinity of livestock.
    6. In paragraphs 4 and 5, “short lead” means a lead of fixed length and of not
    more than two metres.
    So I think this means 1st March to 31st July - dogs on short lead (2m or less, not a retractable job) only.
    Near livestock on a short lead at any time of year. (Is livestock defined anywhere? Cattle, sheep obvious but do grouse count as livestock?). But remember many public rights of way cross access land. If on a PRoW dogs must be under close control (not necessarily on a lead if it's an obedient hound.)

Obedience is irrelevant I'm afraid, just read para 5 again. The legislation is poor (IMHO) and has yet to be tested!

Obedience is irrelevant I'm afraid, just read para 5 again. The legislation is poor (IMHO) and has yet to be tested!
    I agree this is the case on access land when not on a ProW. But as you can have your dog under close control on a PRoW could it be argued that this overrides Access Land legislation......or is this ambiguity why you think its poor legislation?

Quote Originally Posted by Fnstein View Post
    I agree this is the case on access land when not on a ProW. But as you can have your dog under close control on a PRoW could it be argued that this overrides Access Land legislation......or is this ambiguity why you think its poor legislation?
    I think a PRoW overrides CrOW as you have access anyway, to go off the PRoW onto CRoW land then the rules of CRoW come in.... because then you are accessing land under the CRoW act...

It was all done to appease landowners to get the legislation through, a lot of it is deliberately vague, like the fox hunting legislation, which was essentially so weak and wooly it allowed hunting, yet appeased to anti's..

Talking Re: Dogs on Bowland

In 40 years I have never known anybody that has been approached because of walking their dog on the bowland fells. I've run with many a fellrunner and their trusty pet.. never been an issue. That includes talking to the gamekeeper (with dog on lead).