Thread: Joss Naylor Challenge May 5th

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Joss Naylor Challenge May

Well good luck to them all. It's a tough ask to get round in under 12 hours. I'd have liked to volunteer to help, but I can't keep that sort of pace up.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

The Northumberland group with Paul Hainsworth did well from what I could see (I was with the Matlock AC duo at the 7am start). Paul did it in the 11.20s I guess by my watch.

We on the otherhand had some drama, with illness hampering one challenger, and a pacer badly turning his ankle on the way to Rossett just after High Raise. When Rob decided to pass on completing (at Rossett) there was a 12 min deficit on the 12 hour deadline for Andy to catch up with no room for error.
    WE lacked provisions and water but got home with 6 mins to spare, even on the last fell Middle Fell we were not entirely sure of success. BUt relief!!
    We saw Joss at Sty Head (running with poles!) and of course at the finish with his wise words.
    Much thanks to Steve Baker of Helm Hill and Ian Heywood Bowland who covered the middle section at short notice allowing a reshuffle that helped make it happen.
    Rob will return after he clears up his chest complaint and if he waits until September (55th B'day) will earn himself a 3 hour extension to his challenge.
    What perfect weather for it.

Well done - sterling effort!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Paul Hainsworth finished in 11 hours 24 mins. He was up on schedule and strong throughout. A cracking effort on a perfect day weather wise. More details to follow on the NFR website.

Quote Originally Posted by John D View Post
    Paul Hainsworth finished in 11 hours 24 mins. He was up on schedule and strong throughout. A cracking effort on a perfect day weather wise. More details to follow on the NFR website.
    PS I thought the Matlock team might like this photo of their last leg runners descending Middle Fell. The pacer shouted to me that I should be taking their photo - so happy to oblige. I was on my way up to meet Paul & the NFR pacers at the top. John

Attachment 6098

http://www.flickr.com/photos/birtley...57629613851612

Quote Originally Posted by John D View Post
    PS I thought the Matlock team might like this photo of their last leg runners descending Middle Fell. The pacer shouted to me that I should be taking their photo - so happy to oblige. I was on my way up to meet Paul & the NFR pacers at the top. John

Attachment 6098

http://www.flickr.com/photos/birtley...57629613851612
    Thanks John D!!

I hope that I didn't sound too abrupt but it would have been a shame to have missed the opportunity. I don't think that there were any other photos taken on the run, so this will be appreciated. A quick look at the splits showed that Andy was in deficit even on Seatallan and did well to squeeze home with 5 mins and 19 seconds to spare.
    Paul achieved a great time but what superb conditions, strange that there were flakes of light snow falling from Pillar onwards, when it seemed so bright elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by alf.t View Post
    Thanks John D!!

I hope that I didn't sound too abrupt but it would have been a shame to have missed the opportunity. I don't think that there were any other photos taken on the run, so this will be appreciated. A quick look at the splits showed that Andy was in deficit even on Seatallan and did well to squeeze home with 5 mins and 19 seconds to spare.
    Paul achieved a great time but what superb conditions, strange that there were flakes of light snow falling from Pillar onwards, when it seemed so bright elsewhere.
    A pleasure to be of service.

Paul Hainsworth has written an account on the NFR website:

http://www.northumberlandfellrunners.co.uk/index.htm

John