Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cycling seated v standing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My teenage son was never much of a biker but I followed him in the Breeze Team Car up the long and steep Tormalet on a low geared MTB and I was so astonished and proud that I burst into tears when he got to the top. He just kept twiddling . We are different: some riders are just stronger at pushingbig gears in the saddle: Ulrich, and some riders are happier spinning a lowergear and standing: Armstrong.
    The secret of getting up a long steep climb is finding a lowenough gear that you can sustain in the saddle because that is more energy efficientthan standing.
    Standing gives you much more power to the pedal (subject toadhesion problems) and you should be able to accelerate or change up butit is bodily inefficient and even Contador flops back on the saddle eventually.
    And impatience has a lot do with it. If you just want to getto the top then spinning a low gear will get you there in the saddle. Theproblem is when you think you should be going faster and start standing,rushing, and lactic builds up and you get breathless … and then tortoise and the hareas we have seen with Froome and Contador (although they are of course still bothstonking along).
    But it’s a long time since I went up Alpe d’Huez etc so I may be talking rubbish!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Actually it is Tourmalet!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The best ones i've done are on and around the B6265...

Peat Lane out of Bewerley- daft really
    B6265 out of Pateley Bridge
    B6265 Dibble's Bridge to Fancarl Crag
    New Road Skyreholme to Fancarl Crag
    Yep people rave about Greenhow Hill but I think Peat Lane, Church road and Nought Bank are worse. Trouble is I have a choice of doing any one of them to leave home.....with cold legs!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I'd be interested to know the forumites opinions on the toughest climbs around. For me some of the best climbs are in the Dales, Park Rash, Fleet Moss, Garsdale Head, Buttertubs, etc etc, not necessarily the toughest but for sheer enjoyment and wonderful surrounding they take some beating for me. Most of those climbs I would get up with my compact 11/32 without having to get out of the saddle. Hardknott ( From the Rskdale side ) and the bottom bit of Honister before the cattle grid I would never get up without getting out of the saddle and Harknott in the Whitton after 90+ miles is a push for me ( and lots of others ) near to me Church Lane in Hebden Bridge takes some beating and it's a stand up for me. For sheer drama try the cobbled Shibden Wall in Halifax, it's a gem
    Only just seen this but my pennies worth.
    Firstly I always sit down! My favourite area for climbing is Calderdale. Love the cobbles and Trooper Lane is my favourite of all. I have not yet succeeded on church lane in Ludenden. It’s crazy and must be 40 percent at the top. Love Shibden Wall which is not too steep but keeps coming at you. Thwaites Brow too for more cobbled heaven.
    In the Peak there are some brilliant little climbs near Matlock with Riber Road being a personal favourite. In the Lakes Hardknott stands out. West approach a little harder than the east with that 30 percent hairpin near the top. But I think the first 40 feet of Hardknott east is harder!,Wrynose east is a devilish slog and amongst the hardest climbs as it saves the steepest section to near the summit.
    I have to say that if I stand up I tend to spin. Also I prefer to climb in stirrups and find I can push harder and longer knowing I’ll not end up on the road if I grind to a halt!

I just got myself a triple with 12-30 cassette, should do the job.
    Oh and which direction is best for the coal road between Dent and Garsdale?

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme78 View Post
    I just got myself a triple with 12-30 cassette, should do the job.
    Oh and which direction is best for the coal road between Dent and Garsdale?
    Graeme78, I presume you mean the road that goes up past Dent station and down the other side past Garsdale Station. It's definately harder from the Garsdale side, the bit just past the station and under the railway bridge is particularly steep ( 20% ) and an out of saddle for me even with my 11/32 ( 32/50 front ) it's a cracking climb either way with tremendous views of the Dales to be had.
    The road on the other side of Dentdale ( White Shaw Moss ) is also a cracker and it's gated so some respite to be had. The road back down through Kingsdale back to Ingleton is cycling heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Graeme78, I presume you mean the road that goes up past Dent station and down the other side past Garsdale Station. It's definately harder from the Garsdale side, the bit just past the station and under the railway bridge is particularly steep ( 20% ) and an out of saddle for me even with my 11/32 ( 32/50 front ) it's a cracking climb either way with tremendous views of the Dales to be had.
    The road on the other side of Dentdale ( White Shaw Moss ) is also a cracker and it's gated so some respite to be had. The road back down through Kingsdale back to Ingleton is cycling heaven.
    That's the one. I really need to get my finger out and get up to the Dales and try some of these, they just look brilliant.

I have to confess, until recently I still thought 'standard' gearing was 11-24/26 with 42/52....ish! Triple chainsets were for touring. However stuff changes!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    I have to confess, until recently I still thought 'standard' gearing was 11-24/26 with 42/52....ish! Triple chainsets were for touring. However stuff changes!
    When I started 42/52 & 12-21 was the norm, which I used until I was about 50. I always climbed seated in fact did my whole ride seated (with the exception of Chimney bank and some climbs in Wales like Bwalch y Groes.
    I did my first 500 Carlton banks seated using 42/19, and used to do Chimney on 42x21...which is very difficult!
    How things change with age, in just a few years since then I have gone to 42x25. 39x23 then 25. Compact 34x25, tried a triple, 30.42.52. I found all these worked with my original C.Record mechs.
    I started standing on the climbs due to back and hip problems when about 52, and now have settled on triple 30.40.52 with 12/26 at the back and always stand climbing, I avoid the really steep stuff unless its dry as you loose traction standing.
    I blame the decline on Strava as you can not race up hills with such difficult gearing or seated although age must play a part.
    But... as with most things everybody is different.

Ingleton - Dent is on my list to do a.s.a.p.!! I'll have to look at Garsdale section!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com