Thread: Coronavirus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Personally we are quite concerned about it, both being late 60s and traveling abroad on holiday next week (great timing!).
    I am thinking the disease will be similar to flu in fatality rates. The figures suggest there are more fatalities (percentage) with Corona virus, but this doesn't take into account we have a flu vaccination regime in UK.
    I don't know the take up of flu vaccination but 25 million vaccines are offered and most V65 and vulnerable will have had the vaccine and be out of the equation. This could be the big difference in fatalities, though I don't know how that theory stands up in other countries.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Personally we are quite concerned about it, both being late 60s and traveling abroad on holiday next week (great timing!).
    I am thinking the disease will be similar to flu in fatality rates. The figures suggest there are more fatalities (percentage) with Corona virus, but this doesn't take into account we have a flu vaccination regime in UK.
    I don't know the take up of flu vaccination but 25 million vaccines are offered and most V65 and vulnerable will have had the vaccine and be out of the equation. This could be the big difference in fatalities, though I don't know how that theory stands up in other countries.
    Unfortunately it looks like the fatality rate will be higher than with flu - the lowest estimate I have seen is just under 1%, vs 0.1% with flu. And Coronavirus spreads more easily, so most people will probably get it in the next 6 months or so. Most people do not get flu each year. One hope is that as the Northern hemisphere warms up for Spring/Summer it might make the virus less active - fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    One hope is that as the Northern hemisphere warms up for Spring/Summer it might make the virus less active - fingers crossed.
    Ive heard that too but wondered if that is really a realistic hope. Italy is probably relatively springlike compared to us at the moment but is the worst affected area in Europe. Singapore has nearly as many cases as us with a much smaller population.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Ive heard that too but wondered if that is really a realistic hope. Italy is probably relatively springlike compared to us at the moment but is the worst affected area in Europe. Singapore has nearly as many cases as us with a much smaller population.
    Spent a lot of time in Northern Italy at this time of year in the noughties for an annual trade fair.

It certainly isn't spring like. Perhaps dryer, but colder. I had to wrap up for my early morning run
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Spent a lot of time in Northern Italy at this time of year in the noughties for an annual trade fair.

It certainly isn't spring like. Perhaps dryer, but colder. I had to wrap up for my early morning run
    According to BBC Weather, it will get up to 20 degrees Celsius in Milan today.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    According to BBC Weather, it will get up to 20 degrees Celsius in Milan today.
    Conclusive proof - global warming.