[quote=Thatusernameisalreadyused;7071]When Billy Bland did his walk of the Bob Graham in 18h or so he apparently studied the map in earnest and presumably worked out some shortcuts. Are any of these known?

I think the only commonly known one is the ramp line on the Langdale face of Hanging Knotts, rather than going round by Ore Gap.

As for the best way off Great Calva - I did the East Ridge once, suffice to say I've never been back! The advantages of taking the south ridge are that you are on faster ground for longer and have less *big* heather to negotiate. Also if the river is running high then about 200m upstream of the normal crossing area a fence crosses the river and you can use this Indiana Jones style to get across! On one of my attempts there was another party who left GC at the same time but went via the East Ridge and who were on a faster schedule than I was, yet despite taking a planned five minute break at the river we were on Blencathra between five and ten minutes ahead of them.

The only other major decision is whether to go Calf Crag - Sergeant Man - High Raise or Calf Crag - High Raise - Sergeant Man. I reckon the former is quicker as you are on paths rather than striking across country to get to High Raise.

Bob