Thread: The Peak Four County Tops

The Peak Four County Tops

I heard about the Dark Peak 4 county tops about 18 months ago and fancied having a go, Last year was too busy and I've been waiting for a clear spell all winter, the last few days seemed perfect so today I went for it.

The route basically takes you to the Highest point in South Yorkshire-High Stones, West Yorkshire-Black Hill, Greater Manchester-Chew Head and Derbyshire-Kinder Scout, the four counties of the Peak National Park, for the most part the route is open aslong as you take in all the summits

I couldn't see any point in driving to Hayfield to the official start when I live so close to the route so I set off alone with what seemed like a huge sack full of food from the Strines Pub.

Starting at 7.00am this morning in the pale pre dawn light making the High Stones just after day break. There were 17 mountain hares still in winter fur, the most i'd ever seen at one time. I continued along the watershed till I could drop down to the Woodhead pass and on to Dead End Edge-Holme Moss and up to Black Hill. 20 miutes later and I got to Chew Head which was pretty nondescript, a small cairn just off the PW, three down and only Kinder scout to go but you don't hit half way till Crowden so loads of miles left including a crossing of Bleaklow. I took my Tankies route until I could rejoined the PW and followed it to Mill Hill which is around 30 miles (6.30hours). Once on a surprisingly dry Kinder I bonked big style. I was out of water and all the streams were dry.

I eventually found some barely drinkable water high up Red Brook, that coupled with lots of food and I was off again although the crossing via Kinder Scout to Crowden Brook seemed to take for ever. The views over to MamTor were spectacular with the Skies above it full of Paracenders.

I knew there was a spring at Crookstone Knoll so I was able to drink again. The sun was getting low by now and the legs were getting heavy. I had two route options, the long long ridge to Win hill and up Derwent edge or the shorter hillier route Via Hagg farm and Fairholmes. I went for the latter, I figured that if there was any walking to do it might as well be Hilly!

At Fairholmes I mingled with the masses but it did have one benefit, TEA I had a short break and a big mug of tea before setting off round Dewent Res and up Walker's Clough, I'd hoped for a sub 10 hours but the stop on Kinder and the tea just put it beyond reach. I threaded my way though all the heather burning as the temp plummeted, The sun had long gone but it was just light enough to run all the way back to the car from Derwent edge with out getting the head torch out.

Just over 45 miles with 5200ft by Memory map in 10.30 hours

A brilliant day out, my toes suffered the most and my legs were fine at the end.

My Forerunner was invaluble at keeping a steady pace going all day, I think motivation would have been hard to keep pushing with out it.

I can reccommend this for a good day out but next time I would take more Water and less food. I used about 4 litres+ the tea.

Re: The Peak Four County Tops

Well done Ian. I bet that tea was good. I fancy this some day.

Shamelessly jealous - top run Ian.

Well done Ian. That is some trek you have done today. What glorious weather to do it in. Did you take your digi camera with you? would imagine the pictures would have been spectacular?

Master and MR

big big day out ian , much respect
    have you got a copy of the route

Well done, Ian, that sounds like an excellent day out. It's a route that I've had my eye on for some time, too. Maybe later this year (I can use the HPM as training for it!!)

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Well done, Ian, that sounds like an excellent day out. It's a route that I've had my eye on for some time, too. Maybe later this year (I can use the HPM as training for it!!)
    go for it Geoff, well worth it. I only got the map out once as most of the route I chose follows either Dark Peak Club races or other races, Tankies Bradfield Boundary, HPM, Kinder Dowfall, Skyline, Crowden Horse shoe etc and the rest I'd reccied before. Once by Crookstone Hill to make sure I took the correct path to Hagg farm.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    big big day out ian , much respect
    have you got a copy of the route
    I have it on MM, will it post on the Forum?, I'll send it to you direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinno View Post
    Well done Ian. That is some trek you have done today. What glorious weather to do it in. Did you take your digi camera with you? would imagine the pictures would have been spectacular?
    I only took 4 pictures as I didn't want to stop, Guess where they were?
    In a way the run spoilt the day slightly as It would have nice to stop more often and enjoy the view. But it was still a good day out.

Brilliant outing Ian. I can't wait to have a go. Can you fix it for such good conditions when it's my turn?

Top stuff Ian

Sounds like an amazing day! much respect for the solo undertaking