Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Advice on new bike

david

Re: Advice on new bike

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Cheers David
    The one I looked at had 34-50, that make sense now.
    That's a compact double which has a 110mm BCD (bolt circle diameter). A standard double has a 130mm BCD so chainrings are not interchangeable between the two types. The smallest inner ring you can fit to a standard double is a 38.

Cheers David
    The one I looked at had 34-50, that make sense now.
    34-50 is known as a compact, 11-26 on the back is no problem. 34/26 makes for a small gear and will get you up anything. A compact chain set is sort of a compromise between a triple and a standard 53/39. For your money I think your best buy would be somthing pre loved. It's the same as buying a new car, as soon as you take it out of the shop your £750 bike becomes worth around £300 if you were to try and sell it. For £750 you should pick up a very good one via this route.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    34-50 is known as a compact, 11-26 on the back is no problem. 34/26 makes for a small gear and will get you up anything. A compact chain set is sort of a compromise between a triple and a standard 53/39. For your money I think your best buy would be somthing pre loved. It's the same as buying a new car, as soon as you take it out of the shop your £750 bike becomes worth around £300 if you were to try and sell it. For £750 you should pick up a very good one via this route.
    Now that sounds a better idea. Thanks Ady.

PS living in the middle of the pennines would you go for a compact or a triple?

If you plan on using it a lot then you are going to get stronger and fitter so do you really need a triple?? Triples are slightly heavier and not as common on the 2nd hand market so it would limit your scope if this was your plan. I would suggest getting a standard 39/53 and getting a cassette of say 12-28. I find 39/25 which is the lowest gear on my winter bike gets me over the steepest that the Dales has to offer including the Buttertubs. If you find the gearing unacceptable then you could change to a compact for a lot less money than changing from a triple to a double.
    There is currently what seems a good buy on ebay for a Ribble with Campag Mirage for Buy It Now at 450 or Offers (#200356144768). I would suggest 375 would be a good buy with plenty left over for other kit. This shows would you could get for the money but I suspect this may be a little small for you at 54cm?

Banned

If you plan on using it a lot then you are going to get stronger and fitter so do you really need a triple?? Triples are slightly heavier and not as common on the 2nd hand market so it would limit your scope if this was your plan. I would suggest getting a standard 39/53 and getting a cassette of say 12-28. I find 39/25 which is the lowest gear on my winter bike gets me over the steepest that the Dales has to offer including the Buttertubs. If you find the gearing unacceptable then you could change to a compact for a lot less money than changing from a triple to a double.
    There is currently what seems a good buy on ebay for a Ribble with Campag Mirage for Buy It Now at 450 or Offers (#200356144768). I would suggest 375 would be a good buy with plenty left over for other kit. This shows would you could get for the money but I suspect this may be a little small for you at 54cm?
    Cheers Ady, I have now moved to the full amount (sish, don't tell you know who!)

I have looked on http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/ and converted your suggestion of 39/25 (3.1). Too tough for me, my lowest is 42/31 (2.7) and I am wanting a little lower, although I still want the higher end.

I am still waiting for HR department to rubber stamp it but then away I go.
    Can I have some feedback from the serious bike enthusiasts about the 4 listed. I have have narrowed it down taking pervious advice and personal preferences.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/speedster-s30-ultegra-2009-road-bike-ec019434

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Cayo_105_2009/5360037591/

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Trek-1.7-Triple-2009-Road-Bike_20732.htm

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35966

I think they are in my order although open to debate.

Close call between the Focus & Scott. Focus will be quite a bit lighter (full carbon fork & double chain ring). Have you asked nikolas on the forum as he may have been involved in testing/reviews?
    Focus comes with 27 tooth sprocket so that should see you up the hills OK.
    Whichever bike you go for I would ask for a tyre upgrade to either Michelin pro race 3 or Shwalbe Ultermo tyres. They make a big difference in the feel/handling of the bike and you can feel confident on fast twisty descents. It really does make a difference.

Banned

I am still picking your brains fella's,

CRANK: Shimano Ultegra 50/34 or 52/39/30
    CASSETTE: Shimano 105 11-25 or 12-27 (triple), 10 speed

Above are 2 specs for a Trex 1.9 Compact and a Triple is there any reason why I could not ask for the 52/39/30 CRANK and have a 11-25 Cassette?

is there any reason why I could not ask for the 52/39/30 CRANK and have a 11-25 Cassette?
    No.
    Bikies normally only go for triples if they are heading for a tour in Europe Stagger - you are'nt looking ahead, a few more months and miles and you'll be wondering why you're dragging a triple round with you.........

Daz - Tell him

Stagger,

I've got the Trek 1.9 Double. Not a bad bike for the money. I wouldn't bother with a triple. Don't reckon I ever use the littlest-biggest combo anyway. The amount of cycling I'm doing I might be 'upgrading' it soon to a 53/39.

Banned

Close call between the Focus & Scott. Focus will be quite a bit lighter (full carbon fork & double chain ring). Have you asked nikolas on the forum as he may have been involved in testing/reviews?
    Focus comes with 27 tooth sprocket so that should see you up the hills OK.
    Whichever bike you go for I would ask for a tyre upgrade to either Michelin pro race 3 or Shwalbe Ultermo tyres. They make a big difference in the feel/handling of the bike and you can feel confident on fast twisty descents. It really does make a difference.
    Boardman is the same price. Just get it checked when you buy it (and not by the kids at halfords)

PS Spot on with the Pro 3 tyres Ady.