Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbeeie Help

Newbeeie Help

Whenever I have done fell races [OMM every couple of years] I really struggle to contour. It hurts my ankles and the base of feet. Am I a complete wuss [obviously] or is there a knack that i could employ?

Re: Newbeeie Help

What shoes do you wear? low profile shoes like Walshies are much better than trail type shoes for contouring. Ankles still need to be strong but these shoes will give a much more stable base.

I have recently got a pair of inov-8 mud claws, and run a fair bit in them, but not really in anger up, or more importantly across the side of a mountain. Do you aim to keep the shoe flat to the slope, or run on the edges of the shoe to keep it level?

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Shaun, practise, practise, practise .

It may also help if you can build up your ankle strength. Try standing on one foot with your eyes closed for a minute or so, swapping feet & eventually building up the length of time.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Shaun - to be good at contouring you need one leg longer than the other (like a Haggis) but unfortunately, dependent on line choice, it means that you often have to run backwards to achieve maximum speed

But seriously, I think you just have to grin and bear contouring - low pro shoes, stronger ankles and practise will certainly help but I don't know many fell runners who actually admit to liking it.

Might seem simplistic but ensure shoes are laced up tight, any play can cause havoc when contouring.

You are just a wuss

I think the shape of your feet can play a part as well - it may cause your foot to roll more if you have, say, higher arches.

Thanks to all so far for your help.
    What about the question of feet flat to the slope or only edges on the slope?

Quote Originally Posted by shaunb View Post
    Thanks to all so far for your help.
    What about the question of feet flat to the slope or only edges on the slope?
    Stop analysing and just get on with it!