Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
Hmmm another partial success. Did the above yesterday as planned but too many pies and not enough hills over the winter turned it in to a bit of an epic. We were late leaving Manchester and consequently managed to set off in a bit of a fluster from NDG taking totally inadequate clothing and sustenance. The weather didn't help - overheating in the valleys and freezing the nadgers off in the windchill on the tops but we were basically not up to the job and ended up totally knackered by less than half the race route . There's a lot of fell miles to be done between now and May if we're going to get round in one piece.

Descending Hevellyn we came down the spur N of Whelpside Gill and then crossed to the main path on a trod about 50m above the treeline - is this the best line? Going S of the gill looked good on the map but didn't look very promising on the ground.

cheers P

The weather was tough wasn't it Paulo? Luckily took a fleecy top with me because, despite being far too hot lower down, it was freezing on the tops!

Did a recce from ODG, up to Angle Tarn, Esk Hause, up to Scafell Pike, back down Little Narrowcove (where it looked like I was the FIRST person in days to have been there, no footprints at all in the snow!), down over Great Moss and down to the road, up the other side at Cockley Beck Bridge but then decided not to go all the way out to Coniston, headed down to Three Shire Stone instead.

Using Little Narrowcove, the route seems reasonably straightforward, although I suspect I should have stayed further left over Great Moss instead of heading across it!!

Will try the Helvellyn recce later in the month.