Thread: Tussocks

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Angry Tussocks

My first outing on the fells today for 7 weeks was once again blighted by these tussock things, the descent started fine but within 30 secs i'd hit a minefield of these football sized tussocks and rolled both ankles inward and stuffed them both just like i did 3 months ago when the problem began. I walked the entire 1000' descent but it was too little too late. They seem to conceal themselves by growing a massive crest of whispy grass and any area i've encountered them in sees them packed in approximately one per 2sq.ft. of land and they create a low lying carpet of canopy like growth which looks like any other grassy hilltop; they seem to colonise vast areas of land. I don't know how i pick these sodding routes but if i don't start to learn how to avoid areas where they might be i might aswell hang up my vest.

This is a serious ask for help as i'm trying to understand how and why these things form or grow. The only connection i've been able to make is that the seem to like bogs or wet areas but dislike grazed areas, there isn't a single one growing in the Howgills so how is the Howgills different? They must be a particular subspecies of grass which requires the correct conditions to flourish, although i haven't yet fully ruled out the possiblity of them being formed by rodents and small carnivores sneaking around out of the way of Buzzards and Falcons but it's unlikely. My ice packs should be ready to come out of the freezer now, can anyone help me scientifically with this?
    Last edited by mr brightside; 31-07-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent