I'm sure there's a few that claim this.

I have my own car and claim the fuel, mainly because having a company car is bureaucratic and complicated.

But the 40p for 10,000 miles and 25p for over that is looking less and less attractive a deal compared to when it was set up in 2002.

Have you all noticed that we are now well above £6 per gallon - I've been paying £1.38 for diesel in Scotland last week and £1.35 seems typical.

How can the figures that were relevant in 2002 when fuel was around 70p per litre be relevant now?

So 8 years ago on 15,000 miles per annum £5250 could be claimed back with a fuel cost (assuming 40mpg) of around £1200.
Now the fuel cost would be £2300 so £1100 worse off. Service, insurance, tax are all higher as well.

I have 2.5 services and an MOT per year, go through at least 1 full set of tyres, and with general wear and tear and depreciation thrown in, I feel it's falling short now.

I would argue that the original figures were on the generous side, that this balanced out as fuel hit the £1 a litre point, but that now it needs addressing.

I support the pence per mile rate as it rewards those with more frugal cars.

But I think there should be some increase in the allowance now.

Not likely though I would have thought!