Hi

I am new to fell running and wondering if it would be a good (or bad) idea to start with running the Red Bull Steeplechase on 7 October?

To give you some background - I am in my early 40s, in fair shape (perhaps I could lose a few lbs...) and I can run a half marathon on reasonably demanding trails in around 1:40. I am also happy running running hills which is why I want to try some fell running.

I would only plan to run the first 12 miles (assuming I got past the first checkpoint at 8, which I may not of course).

I'd really welcome people's comments. I haven't done any 'fell' training but I do plenty of hill running, but nothing like the same inclines or terrain.

If people it's a good/or bad idea what would be the best training to do in the 7 weeks from now? Presumably hills and endurance, but some strength (ie weights) training as well?

I live in London so I don't have easy access to many fells, but there are plenty of hills and I can use the gym as well.

Thanks (and I hope this is the right place to be posting this and I am not wasting your time!).