Page 10 of 69 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hebden

Re: The Hebden Jan 3

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Greenwood View Post
    Very pleased so many of you are coming back to do The Hebden again on 3rd January. Yes we have altered the route. Firstly we are giving information in the route description so that entrants unfamiliar with Hardcastle Craggs can use the main drag to Gibsons Mill if they wish leaving the walkers to take the scenic route as many of them like to do.
    Secondly the major changes are all in the second half and consist of taking a higher level route rather than slogging it through the mud in the valleys. The changes are all underlined in the route description. I am contemplating marking the route through Whams Wood as it is not easy to find but the change along Windle Hill is straight forward so is unlikely to be way marked.
    Either way if you take the old route by mistake the mileage is about the same.
    Don't forget your towels as there are showers at the Community Centre.
    Regards
    Alan G
    Hi Alan
    Personally speaking, i struggle with route descriptions, tend to get cold and so much prefer a route map. Once you have the route sorted, would there be any chance of it on a map, along with the alternative old route you suggested? Would other runners prefer this?

Hi Chris
    I have every sympathy with your comments about route descriptions and your desire to get your head down without having to try and read one at the same time. Our object in changing the route is to try and get on to firmer ground because in places the mud is attrocious. We have had two years of wet conditions so I thought it was time to try and remedy this. You watch this year now we have done it the ground will be rock hard with frost.
    Anyway possibly the answer is to waymark both the major changes to the route and to leave you to find your way round the few minor changes made elsewhere and the rest of the route. Additionally and bearing in mind that we now have a large proportion of runners on the event I will put together for you what you want using Tracklogs mapping software showing the old and new routes. Send me an email at [email protected] with your address and I will post maps on four sheets to you at around 1:18000 scale. You can then let me have your comments as to their suitability so I can think about issuing them to others.
    Just to answer earlier queries the mileage is about 22 miles with roughly 4400 ft of ascent. Also anyone having trouble downloading the route from the website can contact me and I will change the trackpoints to whatever system they are using.
    Regards
    Alan G
    Alan G

Hi Chris
    I have every sympathy with your comments about route descriptions and your desire to get your head down without having to try and read one at the same time. Our object in changing the route is to try and get on to firmer ground because in places the mud is attrocious. We have had two years of wet conditions so I thought it was time to try and remedy this. You watch this year now we have done it the ground will be rock hard with frost.
    Anyway possibly the answer is to waymark both the major changes to the route and to leave you to find your way round the few minor changes made elsewhere and the rest of the route. Additionally and bearing in mind that we now have a large proportion of runners on the event I will put together for you what you want using Tracklogs mapping software showing the old and new routes. Send me an email at [email protected] with your address and I will post maps on four sheets to you at around 1:18000 scale. You can then let me have your comments as to their suitability so I can think about issuing them to others.
    Just to answer earlier queries the mileage is about 22 miles with roughly 4400 ft of ascent. Also anyone having trouble downloading the route from the website can contact me and I will change the trackpoints to whatever system they are using.
    Regards
    Alan G
    when you say issuing maps to others, do you mean to all on race day or just a select few who request them
    cheers
    Mark

Sorry Mark I was not proposing to issue maps to entrants nor anything else other than what is on the website. I have now put a comparison between the 2009 and 2008 routes in PDF format there. This should enable you to print it off although you will need to be a very good navigator to follow the map on the hoof in an area like Calderdale. Anyway it should give you some idea as to where you are going. The website address is www.alangreenwood.biz/index.html then select The Hebden 2009 . Download from there what you want.
    Alan G

Sorry Mark I was not proposing to issue maps to entrants nor anything else other than what is on the website. I have now put a comparison between the 2009 and 2008 routes in PDF format there. This should enable you to print it off although you will need to be a very good navigator to follow the map on the hoof in an area like Calderdale. Anyway it should give you some idea as to where you are going. The website address is www.alangreenwood.biz/index.html then select The Hebden 2009 . Download from there what you want.
    Ta Alan
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

I did a recce of this today including the route changes. I really struggled with the one after cp4, no proper path and hidden styles. I had to follow the route description very carefully walking/searching for over half an hour. I would recommend looking over this 2/3mile stretch before the day. The other 2 changes are ok to leave till the day

Hi Chris
    You are absolutely correct it is not easy to find your way over the new section from CP4. Trying to run and navigate at the same time is also virtually impossible so against all my walking principles I have decided to waymark that section with red and white tape along with the later new section. I will do this on Wednesday 31 December and hope the farmers do not take the tape down before Saturday the 3rd. The sweep will do that on the day. Sorry that this is not in the official papers but I think I put it in an earlier posting. Anyway I hope you had as much fun navigating that part of the route as we did in finding it and writing the route description. I think you will agree it is a lot less muddy than the route in the valley. Would be interested in any other comments you may have.
    Alan G

Just went to look at your maps etc Alan, and got distracted by the 'Risk Assessment'. What a palava having to write all that lot out. Anyway, I'm glad I now know what time you'll be buying the milk for the cuppa teas!

Possibility of Risk to the General Public - Low ?? Have you seen some of these dodgy characters??
    I think I'll walk this bit....

Yes they do look a bit rough but they all have hearts of gold and rarely complain.
    Alan G

Hi Chris
    You are absolutely correct it is not easy to find your way over the new section from CP4. Trying to run and navigate at the same time is also virtually impossible so against all my walking principles I have decided to waymark that section with red and white tape along with the later new section. I will do this on Wednesday 31 December and hope the farmers do not take the tape down before Saturday the 3rd. The sweep will do that on the day... I think you will agree it is a lot less muddy than the route in the valley. Would be interested in any other comments you may have.
    Hi Alan,
    Had a fab time on Sunday going around this bit. I bumped into the farmer and had a long chat. He seems like a good bloke, although he thinks that anyone wanting to descend down Wham's wood must be a bit mental. Some time later I was thinking the same as I got myself stuck in a holly bush on a 1:3 gradient.
    I think part of this type of event is the fun in finding the route. The flagging is your call, but please don't flagg too much.